What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magazines

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does IBooks sell magazines. Being in Canada we can't even get latest releases yet. I know about Zinio however the app is not as good as IBooks. I don't want to subscribe through Zinio only to find out they will come out through IBooks.

adam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that the industry for magazines such as Popular Science, and GQ, would increase on the iPad if sold through the ibook Store. That said, I don't have mine yet, so I don't know if the Books app is capable of having all the animation and video content.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does IBooks sell magazines. Being in Canada we can't even get latest releases yet. I know about Zinio however the app is not as good as IBooks. I don't want to subscribe through Zinio only to find out they will come out through IBooks.

To quote The Cars, "It's all mixed up."

Some magazines, like GQ and Wired, have created their own apps themselves. Some publishers are apparently using services that digitize the magazines for them, like Zinio and Pixel-mags. Zinio seems to handle everything for you, digitizing, downloads, subscriptions. Pixel-mags seem to create digital versions of a magazine and leave it to the publisher to handle distribution and collection.

As the market grows, more and more publishers will decide how they want to enter it - simple apps that let you read the magazine, full-on bells and whistles versions like Wired, or somewhere in between. My guess is that it will depend on their audience and how much digital content they're already producing.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

To quote The Cars, "It's all mixed up."

Some magazines, like GQ and Wired, have created their own apps themselves. Some publishers are apparently using services that digitize the magazines for them, like Zinio and Pixel-mags. Zinio seems to handle everything for you, digitizing, downloads, subscriptions. Pixel-mags seem to create digital versions of a magazine and leave it to the publisher to handle distribution and collection.

As the market grows, more and more publishers will decide how they want to enter it - simple apps that let you read the magazine, full-on bells and whistles versions like Wired, or somewhere in between. My guess is that it will depend on their audience and how much digital content they're already producing.

Exactly... This is all new, and it will take some time for the new technologies and distribution to get worked out. The publishing industry has done things the same way for generations.... They are kicking and screaming, but they will eventually come into the 21st century.....

Most reactions