What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jot Stylus

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here's another post on the Adonit forum. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a plausible cause and remedy.

"For the Jot to work, the metallic cross imbedded in the disk must make electric contact with the ball tip.

In my case, this contact was intermittent.

I fixed this problem by (1) removing the disk, (2) putting a tiny amount of conductive paste (GB-OX guard) on the bottom of the ball and (3) putting the disk back in place.

It has been working perfectly ever since.

A friend of mine had the same problem, and fixed his Jot the same way."

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's another post on the Adonit forum. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a plausible cause and remedy.

"For the Jot to work, the metallic cross imbedded in the disk must make electric contact with the ball tip.

In my case, this contact was intermittent.

I fixed this problem by (1) removing the disk, (2) putting a tiny amount of conductive paste (GB-OX guard) on the bottom of the ball and (3) putting the disk back in place.

It has been working perfectly ever since.

A friend of mine had the same problem, and fixed his Jot the same way."

AHA! "...the metallic cross imbedded in the disk must make electric contact with the ball tip..." That was the missing piece. Despite recommending the "Palmolive Solution" I couldn't figure out why it works. Even worse, I couldn't figure out why it seemed to work for me and not for Heaviside. Obviously, it's a manufacturing defect that Adonit needs to remedy but I strongly suspect this is the smoking gun.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
AHA! "...the metallic cross imbedded in the disk must make electric contact with the ball tip..." That was the missing piece. Despite recommending the "Palmolive Solution" I couldn't figure out why it works. Even worse, I couldn't figure out why it seemed to work for me and not for Heaviside. Obviously, it's a manufacturing defect that Adonit needs to remedy but I strongly suspect this is the smoking gun.

Any idea what this stuff might be: "(GB-OX guard)"?

BitsFactory

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using a handwriting app for several hours and then check back in to the forum and ask that question again!:D I think that you will see no need to do so! Nothing against fingers. I'm still attached to mine! I have just found that pencils work better on paper and stluses work better on my iPad.

I agree. Its tiring to use fingers.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tried blowing into the swivel joint, then reassembling. Great improvement.

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see Fortigurns posts have all been removed. I have just received my replacements Disks.:D and wanted to say thank you for their excellent customer service, Thank you fortigurns if you are looking in.

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Too bad Fortigurn's posts were removed. Seemed to me that he was just being helpful, and not pushing the product---at least on this thread.

I just saw this on the Adonit web sit and thought it might be of interest to others as well:

"Well, the academic year is wrapping up, and I had a lot of student presesntations to listen to and critique. I just got my replacement jot discs last week and decided to give them a whirl with Notability, my goto note-taking, grading app. After a few days, noticed that the jot was skipping once again. I tried the aluminum foil suggestion, but that only stretched the disc's hole, making it even looser. I went back to my BoxWave stylus until I heard the PERFECT SOLUTION: CPU THERMAL GREASE! I put some of that on the ball tip, and I get better contact and accuracy than I've ever had before. 99% no slipping! ADONIT, YOU SHOULD INCLUDE A TINY BIT OF THERMAL GREASE WITH EVERY JOT! YOU'D HAVE MANY MORE SATSFIED CUSTOMERS!"

stolenfairytale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a Jot, but I'm all thumbs when it comes to taking things apart to fix them. I lack any sort of delicacy -- but I do want somehting precise. Now I don't know if I want to spend $20 dollars on a stylus that will skip often...

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
stolenfairytale said:
I'm considering getting a Jot, but I'm all thumbs when it comes to taking things apart to fix them. I lack any sort of delicacy -- but I do want somehting precise. Now I don't know if I want to spend $20 dollars on a stylus that will skip often...

Well, at this point I would go for the iFaraday. I personally favor the SALT (shallow angle light touch) model for my handwriting style. It is reliable and does not skip. Of course it doesn't have the precision of the Jot.

But don't be afraid of taking the disc off the Jot. It doesn't really call for any delicacy, just pull straight up to remove and straight down (on the wand, while holding the disc firmly to a desk top or the like with a finger on each side of the nib) to replace. Takes a good firm pull. I don't think you will damage it.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, at this point I would go for the iFaraday. I personally favor the SALT (shallow angle light touch) model for my handwriting style. It is reliable and does not skip. Of course it doesn't have the precision of the Jot.

But don't be afraid of taking the disc off the Jot. It doesn't really call for any delicacy, just pull straight up to remove and straight down (on the wand, while holding the disc firmly to a desk top or the like with a finger on each side of the nib) to replace. Takes a good firm pull. I don't think you will damage it.

Second on both points. Delicacy (which I also lack) is not required. If I can take off the disc and replace it a gorilla could do it.

Most reactions

Latest posts