What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking void warranty? Even with restore?

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been jailbreaking my idevices for several years now. All of which were second hand and out of warranty(also not $600), so I didn't care

But, my iPad has been having overheating issues. I have already been to apple and they told me if it happens any more they will replace it.

So...if I jailbreak my iPad and it starts overheating again. Will apple be able to know I jailbroke it, even if I do a clean restore before taking it in.

I ask because I know apple has access to a lot of info the consumer does not. Like the internal thermometer via apples behavior scan software. So maybe they can track to number of firmware installs as well as the nature of said install.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been jailbreaking my idevices for several years now. All of which were second hand and out of warranty(also not $600), so I didn't care

But, my iPad has been having overheating issues. I have already been to apple and they told me if it happens any more they will replace it.

So...if I jailbreak my iPad and it starts overheating again. Will apple be able to know I jailbroke it, even if I do a clean restore before taking it in.

I ask because I know apple has access to a lot of info the consumer does not. Like the internal thermometer via apples behavior scan software. So maybe they can track to number of firmware installs as well as the nature of said install.

You know that little dialogue window that sometimes pops up when you sync your iPad with iTunes? The one that says, your device holds diagnostic information that Apple can use to help maintain or diagnose current or future issues blah blah (not verbatim) Say No, Im sure with SHSH data that is particular to each unique device is probably included with these submitted responses and is sent along with the data.

So just say no, but doesn't mean there isn't some other way they are aware of JailBreaking on a particular device.

Im sure its better safe than sorry, When in doubt wait it out theory. But if the Apple representative thinks your suspicious for JailBreaking from things you sate to them in a conversation the more likely it to be an issue, so I would keep it to myself if you do. Part of JailBreaking for most people is bragging rights, this is one case where you wouldn't want to indulge, at least not near the Genius Bar or return counter at Best Buy. I mean its all common sense really. Apple states clearly it voids your warranty, so your taking the risks if you do, its all up to you.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Nope! And the jailbreak is not whats referred to a pwnage so even if Apple can track how many times you restored....so what? You like to restore!! No biggie!

You can safely restore it and exchange it!

Isenguard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, if you restore it then your back to factory settings and youre suppose to do this when things go "wacky" on your device. From my experience, as long as they don't notice that Cydia icon on there then you're good to go - not that many of the Geniuses there would even know what Cydia is. Although ironically, the last time I was at the Apple store, one of the geniuses actually recommended jail breaking and unlocking his iPhone to a customer so that it can be used overseas :)!

Matter of fact, mine is jail broken now and I plan to restore it back soon so I can take it back to get a replacement for this video freezing issue that keeps happening.

OP
T

Tucker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope! And the jailbreak is not whats referred to a pwnage so even if Apple can track how many times you restored....so what? You like to restore!! No biggie!

You can safely restore it and exchange it!

Good to know...

Isenguard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure that your "video freezing issue" is not because of your jailbreak!!

Oh I'm quite sure of that :). This is actually my second iPad, the first one I had to return and exchange because of the same video issue and second one has been doing the same thing. This has been going on long before the Spirit jail break was even released.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Can apple tell? yes and know.
Its not justs as simple as a yes or no, it depends.

if the device fails while jailbreaking or if its already jailbroken then yes they will be able to tell.

You may be thinking, we I can just perform a restore before taking it in. Well, if the defice isnt displaying the issue while your at the apple store and you do a restore before hand, they will ask you to come back after a few days to let error data collect on the device.

Now you may be wondering, well cant I just restore and wait a day or two to have it collect data and then take it in without them knowing it was jailbroken? This part all depends on if you restore files from a backup after performing a restore on the phone.

If you restore the phone to factory settings and reinstall the appls firmware, they wont be able to tell it was jailbroken, but if you dont tell it to setup the phone as a new phone from scratch instead of from backup, the phone wont be jailbroken any more, but some of the settings and files from the jailbreak will be copied back over to the device. if they were to connect the device up to a computer and open the xcode organizer there would also be some logs from jailbreaking in there, or of jailbreak only apps that have been installed or crashed.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Apple has detected Jailbreaks with iPods and iPhones, I've read this many times. More so when a restore goes south and locks up the device. I cant believe none of you dont recall the Ebay warnings about a year ago stating beware on buying iPhones and iPods because many were sold in lock mode and Apple was denying repair.. I't happens and you have to beware of this..

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts