What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi want to restore to 4.3.2 after 4.3.3 released

Mohamedselim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
some questions for a novice like me :

1- can i restore my ipad 1 to 4.3.2 i`m already in 4.3.2 but need to restore it after the 4.3.3 released or i will be obligated to restore to 4.3.3 only even if i downloaded already the 4.3.2 firmware and will press shift button and click restore in itunes but i have not saved ssh but this is not downgrade it is only restore to the same firmware for a clean install

2- will the restore by the previous method make a clean install as intended or the previous apps and consumed big disk space will be the same (i do not intend to apply restore from a backup file)

3- if i jailbreak afterwards with redsnow will i be able to use the same ipsw file that i used in the restore

thanks alot

Reaction score
You cannot restore to 4.3.2 for a clean install, the underlying procedure is the same as downgrading, so without the SHSH blobs is it not possible. And you mentioned that you don't have those.

Anyway, there is an untethered jb for 4.3.3, so you could just upgrade via iTunes and than jb.

Another thought, if your iPad is currently jailbroken, than you have the SHSH blobs saved. Just download tinyumbrella, run it while the iPad is connected and select Save sHsH blobs, it should download the blobs from Cydia. Afterwards you could just restore to 4.3.2.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with DUMI. Restore 4.3.3. It will be nice and clean as you requested. No residual apps or settings. Then jailbreak with latest redsn0w. I'll be doing the same tonight!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rokrdude said:
Just read about ssh blobs
I am currently at v4.3.1 and so far I understand that i can't save ssh blobs now
So should i upgrade to 4.3.3 ?
Also can i save any of my ipad2 blobs without upgrading to v4.3.3?
P.S i would really like to jailbreak my ipad 2 when jailbreak comes out

You are correct. But save 4.3.3 NOW using TinyUmbrella. It's just good practice.

I posted in the main iPad2 JB discussion thread recently, I don't think there is any reason for someone in your situation not to upgrade to 4.3.3 based on the latest news from the dev-team (posted in that thread)

OP
M

Mohamedselim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks alot for all the quick replys much appreciated but small question :

will i need to upgrade via itunes by making itunes download 4.3.3 firmware or i must download firmware 4.3.3 from forum links as i noticed that redsnow need downloaded firmware to begin jb so after restoring with apple firmware via itunes i will not find the firmware again to but in redsnow via browse to begin jb and where is the link of firmware for 4.3.3 ipad 1 and the same firmware file used in restore and upgrade will be used in jb via redsnow or not ?

thanks alot

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mohamedselim said:
thanks alot for all the quick replys much appreciated but small question :

will i need to upgrade via itunes by making itunes download 4.3.3 firmware or i must download firmware 4.3.3 from forum links as i noticed that redsnow need downloaded firmware to begin jb so after restoring with apple firmware via itunes i will not find the firmware again to but in redsnow via browse to begin jb and where is the link of firmware for 4.3.3 ipad 1

thanks alot

You may as well download from our link as you will need the IPSW twice. Make sure you shift-click (option-click on Mac) the restore button in iTunes to select the firmware you download.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can only save blobs for THE current firmware, not your current firmware. So, at the moment, you can only request blobs for 4.3.3 as that is the current firmware. That's why you must request them NOW and save them away for later... So that when Apple stops signing 4.3.3, you have copies of your own...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh. That's a little clearer. OK. 2 problems.

First, I don't think you have the latest TU (posted today?) which can save 4.3.3 blobs. Double check. TU has up to this point required a new release every time there is a new iOS version. The developer is working to make this automatic from now on...

Second, on the "Advanced" tab of TU, the default is to set your PC hosts file to Cydia on exit. This will PREVENT you from being able to install the latest firmware (4.3.3). It is kind of a safety measure for the bad old days so you couldn't "accidentily" update to the latest version of iOS in case it was not jailbroken yet.

To disable this, just untick the box on the TU advanced tab and close TU. iTunes will then point straight to Apple for 4.3.3 blobs and will authorise the update. Alternatively, if you know how to edit your hosts file manually, remove the line for gs.apple.com, but using the TU option is easier...

Hope that helps!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
PS - If you do have the latest TU, make sure you untick the "Request SHSH from Cydia" on the advanced tab to get your 4.3.3 blobs straight from Apple. Apparently Cydia is having a problem getting 4.3.3 which Saurik is aware of and working on. OK?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On a side note does the process of saving of blobs has to be done once per firmware or should we repeat if after some time?:confused:
I am guessing the formal option ;)

Yes, I would suggest whenever a new iOS version is released, you use TU to save new blobs for that version. You shouldn't need to repeat a firmware for any reason.

Tum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Am a new user to the ipads and iphones. I bought my ipad 2 about 3 days ago. After pluging it into itunes it installed upto firmware 4.3.1
I have noticed from reading about jailbreaking, then need of saving SHSH blobs (not sure what that means !)

So when i noticed there has been a couple more releases of the firmware to 4.3.2 and 4.3.3 i didnt press upgrade. I downloaded Tiny umbrella which was suppose to save upto 4.3.3 on the ipad 2 but all am getting in the log is a error messages saying
"CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR IPAD23G 4.3.1"

"CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR IPAD23G 4.3"

So after further reading i found that apple stops having signatures or something to stop them saving! (not sure what any of this means still !)

So i thought i would update to 4.3.3 then try using Tiny Umbrella.

Am still getting the same messages in the log file but now with these 2 also

"CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR IPAD23G 4.3.2"
"CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR IPAD23G 4.3.3"

Am i doing something wrong here ?

How can i avoid not saving any more updates to my firmware ? As i have only had the ipad a few days and seen 2 updates already !

Will this mean i can never jailbreak my ipad 2 ?

Please Help !

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know it can be a little confusing. You are actually doing nothing wrong. Saurik has a temporary bug on Cydia servers at the moment, and it won't retrieve the current firmware blobs (4.3.3) from Apple. So you were in the horrible situation of not getting any!
There is a simple quick fix to save your 4.3.3 blobs. Open TU, switch to the "Advanced" tab, and untick "Request SHSH from Cydia", then click "Apply Changes". This will make TU request the blobs from Apple, which will work for 4.3.3. since this is the current firmware. Try the "Save SSH" button again with this configuration and you will get your 4.3.3 blobs.

Hope that helps.

Tum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, that seem to work.
Am gathering that has saved my 4.3.3 SHSH locally on my pc now

If i had found this out before updating to 4.3.3 would this method of saved my 4.3.1 SHSH to ?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, that seem to work.
Am gathering that has saved my 4.3.3 SHSH locally on my pc now

If i had found this out before updating to 4.3.3 would this method of saved my 4.3.1 SHSH to ?

Yes, the advanced tab tells you where on your PC they have been saved to (usually a hidden folder named .SHSH)

Also, you could have used this method when 4.3.1 was still the current firmware. And the same for 4.3.2. BUT, you should't HAVE to. Cydia should serve the current blobs up as well as any you have previously saved. It is just a temporary bug which means you are having to do this "fix". But that said, I don't know when or if it will be fixed!

Tum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 4.3.3 SHSH blob that i have saved locally (using this method you said) is the only save that i have seen work.
I have only had the ipad 2 since friday, and when i installed it with itunes, it had 4.3.1 on it, but there seems to of been 4.3.2 and 4.3.3 come out in a few days since i bought the ipad 2 a few days ago.
Will havent 4.3.3 saved on my pc locally mean that cydia will still be able to get me back to 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 if nessecary (for jailbreaking) ?

Also what does untethered jailbreak mean ? Is this different to a normal jailbreak ?

Most reactions