What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking IPad2

tonymorton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

In a previous postbox was advised that if I wanted to avoid all use of the Home button - and in particular for a screen print - that I couldn't do this with a stock iPad.

I've now read the links I was sent and intend to download Absinthe but have 2 questions

1. Is this program appropriate for an iPad2 with an IOS updated to v5?
2. Once installed how do I configure,say, the space bar on the virtual keyboard, to replace the Home + Power on/off button to do a screen print?

My reason for wanting to avoid using the Home button is that it failed on my previous iPad after 3 months and want to avoid the hassle of changing this one and perhaps the expense of getting it fixed outside warranty - almost the cost of a new iPad!

Many thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before we go any further with instructions, what is the firmware version on your iPad2?

You can only use Absinthe on an iPad2 if, and only if, it is running iOS 5.0.1 or 5.0.

If you have iOS 5.1 installed, Absinthe will not work and you cannot jail break your iPad2 at this time (will have to wait until the jailbreak community releases a jailbreak).

So, which version you got? Keeping my fingers crossed for you... :)

Marilyn n

OP
T

tonymorton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Before we go any further with instructions, what is the firmware version on your iPad2?

You can only use Absinthe on an iPad2 if, and only if, it is running iOS 5.0.1 or 5.0.

If you have iOS 5.1 installed, Absinthe will not work and you cannot jail break your iPad2 at this time (will have to wait until the jailbreak community releases a jailbreak).

So, which version you got? Keeping my fingers crossed for you... :)

Marilyn n

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your reply

It is iOS 5.1 I'm afraid.

OK, so I won't attempt downloading Absinthe (or anything else)

How will I know when there's a suitable jailbreak available?

Tony

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, other than the fact that every iOS board on the Interwebz will light up with the news about a jail break for iOS 5.1 (esPECially if it's for the iPad3 also), I'd recommend you subscribe to these two threads:

1) http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?p=517847
2) http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?p=517694

Then, just keep hanging out with us and, as soon as we know something, we'll definitely post it. My fellow moderator, f4780y, is VERY quick to get stuff updated and to get news out. So, you'll know as soon as possible.

And now, if you'll join the rest of us in hoping for a jail break soon. I can't WAIT to see how my iPad3 will do (yeah, I had to add that little selfish bit in there ... sorry!). :)

We're a pretty friendly bunch, so the wait should be pretty painless. Oh, and sorry to hear which version you had - I was rooting for ya! :)

Marilyn

OP
T

tonymorton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Well, other than the fact that every iOS board on the Interwebz will light up with the news about a jail break for iOS 5.1 (esPECially if it's for the iPad3 also), I'd recommend you subscribe to these two threads:

1) http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?p=517847
2) http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?p=517694

Then, just keep hanging out with us and, as soon as we know something, we'll definitely post it. My fellow moderator, f4780y, is VERY quick to get stuff updated and to get news out. So, you'll know as soon as possible.

And now, if you'll join the rest of us in hoping for a jail break soon. I can't WAIT to see how my iPad3 will do (yeah, I had to add that little selfish bit in there ... sorry!). :)

We're a pretty friendly bunch, so the wait should be pretty painless. Oh, and sorry to hear which version you had - I was rooting for ya! :)

Marilyn

Marilyn,

Thanks again for your invaluable advice - much appreciated.

Best wishes

Tony

raghuram27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a new IPad2 10 days ago. It has come with Ios 4.3.5. Now i am trying to upgrade to 5.0.1 but it is not success as i am getting 1604 error. I dont want to upgrade to 5.1 as there is no jailbreak facility for that version. Please help me in upgrading to 5.0.1 so that i can jailbreak. Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but you cannot upgrade that iPad2 to iOS 5.0.1. CANNOT. The only upgrade you can do is to iOS 5.1. Sorry.

My suggestion is to go ahead and upgrade to iOS 5.1, as the odds are [much] higher that you'll see a jail break for that iOS long before you'll see one for 4.3.5. Besides, iOS 5 is a very nice version, when compared to iOS 4; lots and lots of neat changes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ... but there you go.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts