What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urgent: Will first use of iPad2 automatically upgrade the iOS

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I currently own a IPad 2 32Go, but I find it too small, so I plan to buy a iPad 64 Go and sell my 32 Go to my mum.
if the new iPad2 64 Go which I plan to get today is still 4.3.3 out of the box, will the first connection to my PC and to iTune automatically update my iPad to iOS 4.3.4 (which I absolutely want to avoid because I want to still be able to JB the new iPad)?

This, assuming my retail store still has in stock some iPad received before the iOS upgrade on July 16th...

Last edited:

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should not. Mine was on 4.3 when I bought it and from what I rememeber, 4.3.1 was already out.

OP
S

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should not. Mine was on 4.3 when I bought it and from what I rememeber, 4.3.1 was already out.
Thanks

A few confirmation by other users would be great, because I'd prefer to keep a 32Go JB rather than switching to a 64Go non-KB

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surfinette said:
Thanks

A few confirmation by other users would be great, because I'd prefer to keep a 32Go JB rather than switching to a 64Go non-KB

Absolutely, that's the right thing to do.

OP
S

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes always asks before updating, it never does it automatically.
Yes but since it's a brand new iPad, I was wondering if the first connexion was not like a "restore" hence the latest iOS version would be installed ...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, nothing is ever automatic. You will be prompted.
If it comes with 4.3.3 you will need to take care. Dont' accept the upgrade. Jailbreak it using jailbreakme.com if you like, but take care on what you install after that, because if you end up putting somethig old or incomatible on your iPad that messes it up you will have no way to restore to 4.3.3 again, since you don't have saved blobs and don't have any way to get them now.

So remember. Be careful. Use the forum to ask questions. Look at our apps section for stuff that is safe. Don't go installing things without checking first. Then you should be golden.

OP
S

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, nothing is ever automatic. You will be prompted.
If it comes with 4.3.3 you will need to take care. Dont' accept the upgrade. Jailbreak it using jailbreakme.com if you like, but take care on what you install after that, because if you end up putting somethig old or incomatible on your iPad that messes it up you will have no way to restore to 4.3.3 again, since you don't have saved blobs and don't have any way to get them now.

So remember. Be careful. Use the forum to ask questions. Look at our apps section for stuff that is safe. Don't go installing things without checking first. Then you should be golden.
Why can't I save blobs if I'm still in 4.3.3?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you first plug it into iTunes it will ask you to upgrade, if it's out of date, click NO and then click on the small box that says "Don't ask again.", that way it won't be pestering you to upgrade, and most importantly, it will help you avoid "accidentally upgrading". After you JB it Cydia will have your blobs saved on their sites. Download "Tiny Umbrella" and save your blobs locally, just to be safe. This will allow you to downgrade if you ever upgrade and want to go back.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Surfinette said:
Why can't I save blobs if I'm still in 4.3.3?

You cannot save blobs which are no longer being provided by Apple, unless you have an iPad1 in which case you can use iFaith to save the blobs for the firmware you have installed.
For iPad2 you can only get the blobs Apple currently provide, which are 4.3.4 today.

There is a sticky FAQ on the subject. Please read it :)

Most reactions

Latest posts