What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to fix keyboard if it hangs

iPadTester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I discovered a small bug with the iPad2 virtual keyboard, and a simple solution:
If the keyboard hangs and you cannot enter data, and it wont lower using the lower keyboard button just do this:

1) hit the home button
2) go to settings -> general -> keyboard
3) go to intenational Keyboards
4) tap on the keyboard mentioned (usually english)
5) choose any different Hardware Keyboard Layout (it is default set to U.S.)
6) exit settings and the problem should be solved.
7) if you want to use the U.S setting then go back and set it, the problem stays solved!

its simple and it works.. I have registered a bug report with apple for this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You did not say, did you try a restart and it did not fix the problem; a complete shutdown by holding the power button until the power off slider appeared?

This usually fixes glitch problems like the one you described.

Last edited:
OP
I

iPadTester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You did not say, did you try a restart and it did not fix the problem; a complete shutdown by holding the power button until the power off slider appeared?

This usually fixes glitch problems like the one you described.

Hi iPadMaster, actually yes that had been tried, and it did not work. The problem occurred only on new devices where the user had never gone into the keyboard settings. Also if the user had a emoticon app that changes the keyboard setting then the problem didn't happen there either. So we are certain it was not an app problem as such. Another point is that it occurs in several completely different apps. But as mentioned again not on iPads where the user had changed the keyboard settings at least once.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPadTester said:
Hi iPadMaster, actually yes that had been tried, and it did not work. The problem occurred only on new devices where the user had never gone into the keyboard settings. Also if the user had a emoticon app that changes the keyboard setting then the problem didn't happen there either. So we are certain it was not an app problem as such. Another point is that it occurs in several completely different apps. But as mentioned again not on iPads where the user had changed the keyboard settings at least once.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to explain and expand. I hope Apple saw your report and has had time to squash it in OS 5.

Most reactions

Latest posts