What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes library and reformatting

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just installed an SSD in my computer. I'm having a bit of trouble, because I exported my library, but apparently it only worked for music and movies. I have a lot of books that are stored on another drive that is currently untouched, but they are dug in deep in various folders and I'd rather not have to go through and add them again. If I remember correctly, iTunes wipes out your iPad/iPod if it doesn't have that stuff in your library.

I haven't reformatted my old OS drive yet, so iTunes is still on it. Is there a way to transfer my old iTunes library to my new iTunes library?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Copy your iTunes folder, lock stock and barrel, to the new drive. Open iTunes preferences, go to the advanced tab and point your the old library.

Or, just replace the new iTunes folder with the old one. Either should work.

You will probably have to go into the Store menu and Authorize the computer before your DRM media will play. Don't worry, if it's already authorized it will just tell you so. Probably best to do this and log into iTunes on the computer before connecting the iPad.

If your iPad gives you guff about being a new computer and erasing it's content, go to the File menu and choose Transfer Purchases (iPad must be connected).

If that doesn't solve everything let me know and I'll go to the closet and start digging for a bigger thinking cap. :)

OP
K

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should probably point out that i'm on Windows 7. I'm not sure if your advice is for Mac or Windows.

So I should just copy the folder over? Its the same version and stuff so I'd imagine that would work. I'm a bit confused about pointing it to the old library though. The path to the actual files is exactly the same. I don't have a Library folder or anything. I just add them individually from various folders that I have. I'd imagine there must be a file somewhere that has the path to the individual files? The library I exported before was just an XML sheet with the path and the settings for each song that I could import. I'd like to find something similar for the books I have. They weren't purchased from iTunes.

Also, will my apps disappear since they aren't in my library? I had a bad experience with iTunes a long time ago where the music on my iPod was erased because I tried to sync it with another computer. I'm trying to not have that happen again :p

Thanks!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My advice would work for Mac or Windows, but only if you'd had it set up to copy the files into the iTunes folders. It still might work for the ebooks, but you'd have to re-add the media from the other folders afterwards, probably.

And you always have an iTunes folder, whether you keep the music there or not. iTunes creates one if it isn't one already in it's default path.

I've always imported my music into iTunes and let it copy and organize in it's own folder structure, so I can't offer any better suggestions, not and be reasonably confident I wasn't leading you into trouble.

Most reactions

Latest posts