What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back up Library--need help!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im planning to reformat my whole computer so Im backing up my whole Itunes library. I went to Itunes-file-library-back up to disc. Now, I dont have a disc but I have a portable external hard drive. How do I go about it? is there other option besides backing it up to disc?
Btw, I already back up my whole pc. Will that be enough or I have to separately back up the itunes.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
j0yful said:
Im planning to reformat my whole computer so Im backing up my whole Itunes library. I went to Itunes-file-library-back up to disc. Now, I dont have a disc but I have a portable external hard drive. How do I go about it? is there other option besides backing it up to disc?
Btw, I already back up my whole pc. Will that be enough or I have to separately back up the itunes.
Thanks in advance!

Well,

if your entire PC, including all Partitions (C,D & E, etc.) are backed up, then iTunes is also backed up.

The main question is, how do you want to restore the data.

Do you intend to use Windows Restore Backup option to get the PC to the exact same state it was in when the backup was taken? Or do you install Windows fresh?

In the second case, it would be advisable to backup iTunes, as well as all media separately. In iTunes go to File->Library->Export Library, then also copy all Music&Videos manually.

After you reinstall Windows, you would then place the Music&Videos in the same folder, they were in before and import the library into iTunes.

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well,

if your entire PC, including all Partitions (C,D & E, etc.) are backed up, then iTunes is also backed up.
--- how do I know if I backed them all up? I went to back up and just hit that button. Is there a way I can check if I have backed all of them up?

The main question is, how do you want to restore the data.

Do you intend to use Windows Restore Backup option to get the PC to the exact same state it was in when the backup was taken? Or do you install Windows fresh?

--ummm, I made a recovery disk. I think I would just insert those cd's right?

In the second case, it would be advisable to backup iTunes, as well as all media separately. In iTunes go to File->Library->Export Library, then also copy all Music&Videos manually.

After you reinstall Windows, you would then place the Music&Videos in the same folder, they were in before and import the library into iTunes.

It's sounding a bit more complicated now. :p

Reaction score
Before we delve any deeper into this.

Why do you want to reformat your PC?

The most common reason would be, because somehow windows runs really slow, or something else isn't working anymore. In that case, creating a windows backup and then restoring, won't do any good. So are you replacing the hard drive?

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont want to, but I have to. I keep getting this blue screen (windows vista) after I shut down my pc . I called HP help desk, and they suggested I reformat the whole thing.

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input!

Reaction score
Completely forgot to answer here again.

Anyhow, you can't use the Windows backup & restore option, because something is causing the Bluescreen. So if you make a backup, reformat the hard drive and then restore, your PC is exactly in the same state as before, meaning you would restore whatever is causing the Bluescreen right back. A fresh install of Windows is probably what was meant by the help service when they said reformat.

So, you can either
-find out what is causing the Bluescreen.
-install windows again without restore. But you would have to backup all iTunes related files separately, as well as any other files you want to keep.

Personally, I would try the first option. When the Bluescreen appears, it shows an error message, perhaps you could post that one hear and we work from there?

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Completely forgot to answer here again.

Anyhow, you can't use the Windows backup & restore option, because something is causing the Bluescreen. So if you make a backup, reformat the hard drive and then restore, your PC is exactly in the same state as before, meaning you would restore whatever is causing the Bluescreen right back. A fresh install of Windows is probably what was meant by the help service when they said reformat.

So, you can either
-find out what is causing the Bluescreen.
-install windows again without restore. But you would have to backup all iTunes related files separately, as well as any other files you want to keep.

Personally, I would try the first option. When the Bluescreen appears, it shows an error message, perhaps you could post that one hear and we work from there?

hey, thanks! i'll come back later and copy the error message. i've been frustrated since no one can come up why that blue screen appears. maybe, you can shed some light ;)

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error Message ( quite long )

everytime I shut down my computer, It won't shut but instead pops up a blue screen. I usually just hold the power button to turn it off
Here's the error message:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again. Follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need:
If problem continous, Disable and remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components. Restart your computer. Press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
Technical Information:
Stop:0X0000009F (0X00000003, 0X86469340,0X86470348, 0X870CEE28)
Collecting Data for Crash DUmp
Initializing Disc for crash dump
Beginning Dump of Physical memory
Dumping Physical Memory to Disck:100
Physical Memory Dump Complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
everyone's insight would be helpful!

Reaction score
Well, that specific bluescreeen tends to be caused by drivers, which have trouble getting switched off. I.e. they run fine while the computer is on, but when the pc gets turned off, those drivers need to be shut down as well, and when they are sloppy programmed, it will cause the Power_Failure Bluescreen.

So ideally, you would upgrade all the drivers, but for that we have to know, what hardware is installed.

If you are unsure, which hardware is installed and what drivers you need, you can go to the Startmenu, open 'DxDiag', and then 'Save all information', upload the .txt file here or send it in a PM. Then I could just send you a list with the newest drivers for your computer.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW, do you have a back up copy of your hard drive, if not then I would do it now as it is good practice anyway. I make a bootable clone of my HD regularly so that if the worst happens I can instantly boot from an external drive.......unfortunately I don't know how to do this in Windows.

The Archangel

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
FWIW, do you have a back up copy of your hard drive, if not then I would do it now as it is good practice anyway. I make a bootable clone of my HD regularly so that if the worst happens I can instantly boot from an external drive.......unfortunately I don't know how to do this in Windows.

The Archangel

Excellent advise! I do the same every quarter and save to two different external hard drives (one is portable and I keep it at work.)

To perform a backup: In Windows XP Pro open "My Computer" Right Click on "Local Disk (C) then click on the "tools" tab. There will be an option to back-up / restore. Follow the directions.

Last edited:
OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Archangel

what does a bootable means?

Most reactions

Latest posts