What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its official, some new iPads have problems

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, I guess on the plus side is that if you don't have a defective new iPad, your new iPad will out preform the iPad2's wifi signal. I have tested both my iPad2 and new iPad and the wifi is a bit stronger on the new iPad. I also don't have any screen bleeding like on my iPad2.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple has so far has not accepted any manufacturing defects no official statement on the defects except the overheating one. Nothing on Backlight Bleeding issue that would worry me more than the overheating problem.

Last edited:

SarahDeckerIpad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased 3 gen. Ipad from Walmart and everything works beautifully! Bought the At&t wifi, 4g, 64G, leaving behind the ipad 1 (which my husband gets). No backlighting issues, does not get warm and no bad pixels. I am averaging 10 hours of battery life. Awesome! This ipad may be thicker than the ipad 2, but coming from the ipad 1, it is much thinner! Good luck to those who are having issues.

steftymo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never understood the light leak problem. Surely it is only noticeable if you have a very bright screen and are sitting in a very dark room and even then you would have to be looking at a black screen.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It has now been determined that some of the new iPads will not do as well with wifi connections as the iPad 2. There is a probability that this will be resolved with a software update like they did with the iPad 2. Worse case scenario is that there is a bad batch of iPads and they will be happily replaced by Apple, repaired, and resold as refurbished.

A recap of the issues to date:

Like any introduction, there are reports of light leaks. Most light leaks are small and unnoticed unless the owner goes looking for them. The only solution is to get a replacement.

It gets hot: Bigger, more power hungry battery and demands of the new setup. Especially while charging. Do not run the screen on maximum resolution and don't worry about it. It is well within normal tolerances.

The battery:
1. Runs down quickly. If the screen is on maximum brightness, it will reduce battery life to only 5 hours more or less of continuous video streaming. Run the brightness at 50% or less and get twice the duration.
2. Takes forever to charge. To handle the demand of the new screen, it has almost twice the battery power as the iPad 2, but is still using a 10W charger. It will take 7 hours instead of 4 hours of the iPad 2 to fully charge.

4G:
Besides the usually difficulties with getting accounts activated, people are finding that they can go through data plans in no time. One guy managed to go through his 5Gb allotment in less than a day. AT&T is trying to work a deal where app makers will be charged for data used by their apps. For example ABC player may be able to add advertising to pay for the service. This will not be a quck fix.

Almost all the issues are a matter of perception, or will be resolved very shortly. Once people get a better idea of what to expect and how to deal with it, this chaos should die down. We might try consolidating all the worries/complaints about the new iPad to here so it is not scattered all over.

I have not had any of the reported issues to date :). No isues with wifi signal at different locations (home / work) compared to my iPad 1. its too early for me to comment on the battery duration. I have just gone through my first 100% decharge back to 100% charge. I probably agree the charge takes longer - but if I am charging overnight anyway no big deal. As it is running at 100% and for 30 mins or so of watching a video it is still showing 100%. My daily commute (main usage) is about 1.5 hours each way. With original iPad would be a good week or more usualyy before running down charge and often have a plug in after 3 or so days of usage.

I have note noticed any real warming issues - I have Infinity Blade II but have not run for an extended period.

I would tend to agree there are no real inherent issues with the New iPad - not that there may be some unfortunates who have possibly have some genuine hardware defects. As pointed out Apple will see this put right in short order.

My gut feel is (in the early days of the launch) that the new iPad is a superior High End tablet that, aside from those who would be classed as being a pure techophiles and need to always update to latest release, will provide many years of great "Post PC Generation" digital comsumption. "Its a thing of beauty!"

SquiderDragon

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 takes wayyyy more than 4 hours to fully charge, closer to 8.

Are you using the OEM charger? Maybe something wrong with your charger or you're charging it via computer and USB cord and getting only a trickle charge?

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
4G:
Besides the usually difficulties with getting accounts activated, people are finding that they can go through data plans in no time. One guy managed to go through his 5Gb allotment in less than a day. AT&T is trying to work a deal where app makers will be charged for data used by their apps. For example ABC player may be able to add advertising to pay for the service. This will not be a quck fix.

what was he doing? I use my iPhone excessively and I barely use the 2gb? Was he watching Netflix or downloading all of his favorite apps. Apps are the most data hungry issues I have problems with.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is how I check for light bleeding. Find an image with a black background. I went to Photos/Photostream with no images. The screen is black with a heading and iCloud symbol. Looking at only the bottom edge in a darken room, I rotate the screen through 360 degrees, checking the bottom screen only. If there is a serious case of bleeding, it should be obvious.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
what was he doing? I use my iPhone excessively and I barely use the 2gb? Was he watching Netflix or downloading all of his favorite apps. Apps are the most data hungry issues I have problems with.

Obviously, he was. Apps can be huge and a lot of people seem to like watching movies on a small screen when out and about. Neither of those are things I enjoy. I do sort of hope this comes to a big head as I think the data limits are impractical. I'm testing out my 4G just because I want to make sure it works, but I don't plan to be a users of this on a regular basis. I don't like being metered. If a data plan isn't unlimited than it is practically useless and dangerous to own. The vendors will find that this won't be able to be sustained for long.

L

Lunar

How would I know if my new iPad had a light leak???

 Sent from my iPad 32gb (3rd generation) using iPF 

TBH if you need to ask what it is, and your've used your new iPad without noticing any unusual issues you likely don't have a problem anyway.

Just watch a dark scene or a picture with dark or black around the outside, if you see patches of light around the edge then you have a small amount of backlight bleed leaking through. If it's only visible in a dark room with high brightness then It's not a problem and no need to worry about it, but if it's noticable in normal use at normal brightness then it needs replacing. My advice is don't go looking for problems where none exists..lol

Some people are returning units for bad pixels, and rightly so too, a tiny bit of light bleed at high brightness in the dark IMO is acceptable as it will never be visible in normal use, but to have dead pixels on a new iPad is a big no,no for me especially from new. I returned my first iPad3 because it had dust particals under the screen, and I simply didn't fancy seeing it everytime I used my iPad. IOW no-one should hesitate in getting their ipad changed if it has faulty pixels or dust under the screen especially if easily seen, as once you notice them they really start to stand out afterwards, at least in your own mind anyway. Some things I can live with, but not bad pixels on a new iPad especially when I've just paid £659 for it.

A single dead pixel looks like a very tiny black dot on the screen, barely visble, if it's very clearly visible it's likely a cluster of adjacent pixels that are faulty. They can also be partly faulty, a stuck on pixel which is the worse kind to have will show as a brightly lit dot.
Pixel problems are an issue of concern with many people as some companies will claim that to scrap every panel for the sake of one bad pixel would raise the end price of the item, and is why some companies will only replace if there are 3 or 4 pixels faulty. Thankfully these days some monitor manufacturers will replace immediately if just 1 pixel is faulty, especially on the more expensive panels.

One can get a bad pixel at any time, though generally most bad pixel issues tend to occur at first switch on as it was already there, or within the 1st week, IME your unlucky if they appear at a later date, my large Dell monitor which cost me £600 is still going strong after 3yrs with no faulty pixels, though the first one delivered did have 2 bad pixels. I don't think anyone should tolerate bad pixels if they are visible on a brand new unit. If they cannot manufacture them without any bad pixels, then they should stop selling them, and if people did'nt tolerate bad pixels they soon would do. If you get a bad pixel later.. then you learn to live with it, it's not a major disaster, but not acceptable when brand new IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This entire issue of Backlight Bleeding and Dead Pixel is now stopping me from buying this device it has instilled that fear in my mind and I fear that there is no way, no guarantee that my device will not have it. Preety bad feeling if you are planning to buy something brand new with 100% of your money and still not assured of a flawless product. How does one get that confidence in that product ?

Most reactions

Latest posts