What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is threatening to get sued over posting a link a violation of free speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In forum infancy you could not find a forum with rules of any kind now most forums have strict guide lines on how to behave or what to even talk about. In some cases such as iPad forums that's a good thing so that the forum stays on track but in my opinion I think the line is starting to get crossed. Almost every forum has really strick rules on links, topics, and language.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reddit is alive and well if you like a free-for-all.

No one is impeding your free speech on forums; they're exercising their right to create a forum they desire and have no obligation to meet your bar (or mine) for what's too strict. But there's nothing stopping you from starting a forum and having no rules.

But even free speech, as protected by law, has restrictions. The First Amendment doesn't allow you to yell fire in a crowded building, spread secret troop movements or throw down what the Supreme Court has recognized as "fighting words," for example. Those can actions can be prosecuted criminally in the U.S., for instance. And there are plenty of things you say or post that can land you in civil court as well.

In some countries, laws are even stricter. When talking about Web limits, it's important to recognize that the whole world uses the Web, and what you're free to post in one country might land you in prison, or maybe worse, in another.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In forum infancy you could not find a forum with rules of any kind now most forums have strict guide lines on how to behave or what to even talk about. In some cases such as iPad forums that's a good thing so that the forum stays on track but in my opinion I think the line is starting to get crossed. Almost every forum has really strick rules on links, topics, and language.

If you want to throw flames go to usenet. It's still there.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Alucard9114--at this point, we hope that your question has been answered in this thread. As you can see, freedom of speech does have some restrictions wherever you go based on the rules set for that environment. Whether it's your place of work, on a plane, in another country or in a Privately owned Forum. These settings have the right to create rules that are appropriate for their setting and for the safety of others.

We are fortunate to have our freedom of speech, however, we know that we must treat that freedom with honor and care.

At this time, we will now close this thread. Thank you all who have participated here.

Skimonkey
IPF Moderating Staff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions