What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cloud living

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So with all this cloud talk thinking of getting rid of my desktop. Don't really want a laptop, was thinking of replacing it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 just for the access of flash content. Have an ePrinter for printing(have it just running it off my wireless network not even plugged into the Mac Mini). How much storage did Apple say was available(if I remember 5gb was free)? Does anyone know if anymore was available to purchase for a yearly fee?

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

silvertemplar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm why would you consider apple storage when you are going for an android device? Besides this iCloud thing is not exactly new, look for dropbox or sugarsync in the appstore.... At least you will be able to access your content from your android device if it is on dropbox or sugarsync.

I wont be surprised if apple locks down their service and force you to go via itunes to access anything.In fact i know they will, so you will most likely sit with all your songs in icloud and your galaxy tab wont have access to it....so be warned ;)

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
silvertemplar said:
Hmm why would you consider apple storage when you are going for an android device? Besides this iCloud thing is not exactly new, look for dropbox or sugarsync in the appstore.... At least you will be able to access your content from your android device if it is on dropbox or sugarsync.

I wont be surprised if apple locks down their service and force you to go via itunes to access anything.In fact i know they will, so you will most likely sit with all your songs in icloud and your galaxy tab wont have access to it....so be warned ;)

Maybe I forgot to mention that I will be keeping my iPad 2. Just using the tab for flash content. More like the desk top replacement with iCloud as my hard drive.

silvertemplar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
silvertemplar said:

Maybe I forgot to mention that I will be keeping my iPad 2. Just using the tab for flash content. More like the desk top replacement with iCloud as my hard drive.

I am not yet convinced icloud will be so seamless that you will get away without a pc. Just like you need itunes (a pc) to update your ipad software. There is also the question as to whether apple will even allow you to store anything you like on there (or restricting it to filetypes they cater for).

The existing cloud options are already semi free with 5gb storage , so might as well try them while you wait and see how far you get (and yes you can stream music from them too).

As for getting a 2nd tablet just for flash, isnt it bit overkill? There are a few flash browsers on the ipad which can do the job most of the time (without jailbreaking)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
silvertemplar said:
I am not yet convinced icloud will be so seamless that you will get away without a pc. Just like you need itunes (a pc) to update your ipad software. There is also the question as to whether apple will even allow you to store anything you like on there (or restricting it to filetypes they cater for).

The existing cloud options are already semi free with 5gb storage , so might as well try them while you wait and see how far you get (and yes you can stream music from them too).

As for getting a 2nd tablet just for flash, isnt it bit overkill? There are a few flash browsers on the ipad which can do the job most of the time (without jailbreaking)

Once you have iOS 5 on your iPad you won't need iTunes on the PC to update software. It won't matter what restrictions Apple put on the storage space as there are other options such as dropbox that can be used for free for anything Apple doesn't allow.

The Archangel

OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With Apple supposedly moving away from ODD, and moving toward the cloud, it would make complete sense(for me at least) to no longer have such devices in my possision. My iPad 2 meets my needs and more, but with that being said there are a few desktop apps/websites that I need/want that the iPad cant do or at the very least do seemles. And since Dropbok is a cross platform app. the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 for at the very least a desktop like tablet with flash looks promising. I only listen to music on my iPhone 4 anyways so no need for a desktop, but my only real concern would be is how much GB cloud storage is available to the consumers(other then the 5GB).

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
laserguy007 said:
but my only real concern would be is how much GB cloud storage is available to the consumers(other then the 5GB).

there is loads of free cloud storage available, do a search of the app store and there are a number of apps offering storage, then there are the web based providers for which you may need a file managing app, I have one but can't remember the name right now. A quick google search just found me over 100GB of free storage. If you are happy to pay for storage then that 100GB goes up exponentially.

On a personal note, I would always back up to a hard drive just in case. This is easy to do, a real cheap old PC/Mac will do the trick, £50 would buy you one plus an ext HD (another £50) if the internal one is small then say back up from the cloud once a month and you are as safe as houses......as they say! That's only assuming you are as back-up manic as I am!

The Archangel

Last edited:
OP
laserguy007

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
there is loads of free cloud storage available, do a search of the app store and there are a number of apps offering storage, then there are the web based providers for which you may need a file managing app, I have one but can't remember the name right now. A quick google search just found me over 100GB of free storage. If you are happy to pay for storage then that 100GB goes up exponentially.

On a personal note, I would always back up to a hard drive just in case. This is easy to do, a real cheap old PC/Mac will do the trick, £50 would buy you one plus an ext HD (another £50) if the internal one is small then say back up from the cloud once a month and you are as safe as houses......as they say! That's only assuming you are as back-up manic as I am!

The Archangel

Yeah but my understanding is thats what cloud does. Back up automaticaly. We are so trained on backing up to a HD, that will be an obstacle that Apple and anyother cloud company will have to sell/overcome. So someone like me who uses there iPad 95% of the time, and the 5% on the actual HD(only to sync update) will be ditching the HD.

With all this technology we are slowly but surly going away from desktops/laptops. Think anout it this way, the government wants all healthcare to go paperless. You really think a doctor is going to lugg around a laptop, or even worse install a desktop in each exam room? Or how about real estate brokers, the way of the laptop/desktop has one foot in the grave so to speak.

Bill Gates said long time ago that the day when all programs/apps are all web based and that bootable disk would be like tape players in the age of CD's.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently finished a project that had me living in the Cloud for a time and it sucks. The iPad rocks, but it is not the be all, end all for mobile living. I think you might regret your decision to get rid of your desktop.

I suggest waiting until you see what Apple does with their vision of the Cloud. Perhaps iTunes is still a requirement. Do not listen to the experts with inside knowledge they claim to have; we will know when we know.

That said, we are talking about Apple and past experience shows they often release something that changes the game.

Most reactions

Latest posts