What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there an App for this?

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Please tell me there is.
I have great trouble getting to sleep. I'm getting on in years and basically my body is falling apart. I have found that reading helps, especially if I have to concentrate on the story being told. Even better are audio books 'cos I can get comfortable while I listen and then just drop off. But therein lies the problem. I wake up 4 or 5 hours later and the iPad is dead because the battery is all used up.
What I need is a clock/timer that will either turn off the iPad altogether or at least put it into "Sleep" mode after a given length of time. For example, if the audio book played for an hour and then the iPad went into Sleep mode when the clock/timer kicked in, that would be excellent.
Cheers for any ideas,
Steve

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5teve said:
Please tell me there is.
I have great trouble getting to sleep. I'm getting on in years and basically my body is falling apart. I have found that reading helps, especially if I have to concentrate on the story being told. Even better are audio books 'cos I can get comfortable while I listen and then just drop off. But therein lies the problem. I wake up 4 or 5 hours later and the iPad is dead because the battery is all used up.
What I need is a clock/timer that will either turn off the iPad altogether or at least put it into "Sleep" mode after a given length of time. For example, if the audio book played for an hour and then the iPad went into Sleep mode when the clock/timer kicked in, that would be excellent.
Cheers for any ideas,
Steve

Why don't you simply plug the iPad into the charger and let it stay charged all night?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why don't you simply plug the iPad into the charger and let it stay charged all night?

Hi Steve - well the suggestion above will work, i.e. simply plug in your iPad to the wall charger - will work fine - :)

Now if you want an app to turn off your iPad, then plenty are available - just check the Apple App store; for myself, I use one called Alarmed - check HERE for more information - there are plenty of others (e.g. use a different one on my iPod to turn off my music at night) - please post back if further questions need to be answered - good luck!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Audible offers a great free app with a sleep timer, and it has good audiobook selection. Prices are reasonable, IMO, though YMMV. There are frequent sales as well.

I've used Audible for years and have found it reliable. Technically, it's also improved since Amazon bought the company and has beefed up investment. Service also has been good.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.
Why not just plug it in so that it stays charged?
'Cos I'm old and to stupid to think of simple things like that :)
BTW, the iPad is my alarm clock which is why it's a bit of an issue if it runs out of power during the night.
I'll give Alarmed and Audible a try over the next week or so and report back.
Thanks again,
Steve

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't keep any gadget with an audiobook running overnight for no reason, but that's me.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, in the night, if you want to read and cannot stand the black text on white background. You can set triple click to home to invert colours. Helps when reading in the night. If you are jailbroken, you can install f.lux to warm colours at night.

Sent from my jailbroken K48.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kaykaykay ... Not to mention the hassle of finding which page you heard up to the previous night . :)

biobunny .... My iPad2 isn't jailbroken so those options are out for me. But in actual fact I'm quite happy with black print on a white background .... for now.

Thanks to both,
Steve

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5teve said:
kaykaykay ... Not to mention the hassle of finding which page you heard up to the previous night . :)

biobunny .... My iPad2 isn't jailbroken so those options are out for me. But in actual fact I'm quite happy with black print on a white background .... for now.

Thanks to both,
Steve

The inverted colours works on a stock iPad......

image-2224790950.png

image-2956837044.png

The Archangel

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's more in many reading apps you can choose either, white on black, black on white, and even a sepia sort of one that looks like an aged book. I know both the amazon kindle app, and the apple iBooks app offer this, although this may not be what you're looking for.

Sent via iPF from my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts