What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App killer/sleep timer

dereked1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I go to sleep each and every night streaming audio books from my PC. I have hundreds and hundreds and find them great to go to sleep to. I would love to be able to set a timer though so that after a few hours it would stop. I have audible, pandora and iHeart radio that I will use for OTR which work and they all have sleep timers. I would prefer to be able to do my streaming and would need a app killer of some kind to kill the streamer or a 3rd party sleep timer that would turn off an app. Does anyone know of such a thing?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Give this a try.

Start your audio, then close the app. The audio should continue, at least it does with most audio apps.

Now open the Clock app and go to the timer. Under the big timer wheel you'll see a notes icon and the name of the current alarm. Tap this and scroll to the bottom of the list. Choose the Stop Playing option. Now set the timer and start it.

You should probably re-open the audio app, to insure it doesn't time out (though most will not).

If everything works properly the audio will continue to play until the timer runs out; at which point instead of setting off an alarm it will stop whatever is playing.

This works with the built in Music app and the few other audio apps I've tried. Hopefully it will work with your audio books as well.

Good Luck.

AudioTimeOut.png

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I go to sleep each and every night streaming audio books from my PC. I have hundreds and hundreds and find them great to go to sleep to. I would love to be able to set a timer though so that after a few hours it would stop. I have audible, pandora and iHeart radio that I will use for OTR which work and they all have sleep timers. I would prefer to be able to do my streaming and would need a app killer of some kind to kill the streamer or a 3rd party sleep timer that would turn off an app. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Now, I don't stream from my computer, so I don't know if this will work, but:

The timer app has the ability to set "stop playing" as a alert when the timer is done (the option is all the way at the bottom of the selection wheel):

y2ypeby2.jpg

Maybe give it a try and see if it'll work for your streaming?

Marilyn

Edited: Dangnabbit! I type too slow! :D

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt there is any app killer that would do what you require, since apps are sandboxed and may not affect each other.

Most reactions