What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a point of having an iPad if you own an iPhone

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both my wife and i have iPhones and i have a 3G iPad I am actually thinking about getting rid of both iPhones and getting my wife another iPad 3G, and then exchanging the iPhones for a basic flip phone. I could get rid of 2 $30/mo data plans (iPhones) and use that for unlimited iPad data.

Right now i am paying $30/mo x 3 for both phones and the pad. With the new configuration i would only be paying for the iPad data times 2.

here is my take on the socalled unlimited data plans ..they really are not unlimited for they stop you at 5.gb area all plans do no matter who you are with ..i had cricket wireless boardband plan and ran into the fact after 5.gb part after going over the 5.gb limit in one month over me downloading and watching a lot of hulu movies and tv shows on my laptop when traveling ..

i do not buy into the unlimited programs anymore ..when i switched to a desktop i got the highest cable boardband package i could get for a home owner so i would never go over the limit about bandwith useage ..

so that why i stick to a Wifi set up for surfing the web when out for a lot of hotels have free Wifi in there rooms so i use it when iam away from the desktop

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some blogger ran 60 gigs of 3G data through the iPad and posted a screenshot of the usage page. AT&T has repeatedly disclaimed a cap on the unlimited plan. I have <2 gigs on mine since 4/30, so it's likely that I'll exceed 5 gigs in the service month.

Zardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPhone and iPad and use both. The iPhone is for whe I don't have the iPad with Me and most for phone and location apps. iPad is for web and media, but I can fall back to iPhone if needed.

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and I love both. You can't carry the iPad with you everywhere. Not to mention the fact that the iPhone is, well, a phone. I think of my iPhone as a miniature iPad now.

And for me, the iPhone is indispensable because I tether it to my iPad for Internet access everywhere. I live in Korea now, and the 3G speed is out of this world. I could have bought a 3G iPad, but I saved some money and got the WiFi only model because of the tethering.

koigurl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad experience has caused me to long for (pine for, actually) an iPhone or at least one of the better android phones. We signed a new contract with Verizon for BB Storm 2's in February. Considered the iPhone but couldn't go with ATT's sketchy service in our area. Now that I have the iPad, I have a better idea of what I'm missing with the BB in terms of mobile browsing and apps. Please, Apple, bring the iPhone to Verizon!

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad experience has caused me to long for (pine for, actually) an iPhone or at least one of the better android phones. We signed a new contract with Verizon for BB Storm 2's in February. Considered the iPhone but couldn't go with ATT's sketchy service in our area. Now that I have the iPad, I have a better idea of what I'm missing with the BB in terms of mobile browsing and apps. Please, Apple, bring the iPhone to Verizon!

Likely won't happen with the iPhone for a while, or at least the 5 year exclusive AT&T\Apple contract is up. But you should check out the current Verizon Android Phones. I have a Droid, and it's great. I just 'rooted' my droid to get Android 2.2 on it as well as WiFi tethering. This way if I ever take my iPad out of the house, I can just connect threw my Droid via Verizon 3G.

pointdexler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both ipad and iphone. I traveled alot on business meeting customer and doing alot of one to one presentation. iPad with Keynote is just the perfect tools for presentation. My other use is watching movies.. laptop is just not as mobile as the iPAD..

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got both, the iPad is very mobile and I carry it with me often but the iPhone I always have with me.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is more of a Netbook replacement, as I see it. I had a netbook that I just recently sold to replace it with the iPad. For what I bought it for, I think the iPad will see more use.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the real question is "What is the point of having an iPhone if you have an iPad?" :D

I ditched the smartphone and just carry around a basic small phone now.

Most reactions