What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes - Pitfalls with owning both iPad & iPhone

anthonyhfoote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just discovered (The hard way) that, while it's OK to use a single instance of iTunes for both an iPhone and an iPad, it has one drawback.

iTunes does a good job of keeping the devices independant of each other for pretty much everything.....except music!

I've had iPhones from day one but took the plunge and bought a 64GB WiFi+3G iPad (Sold my Motorola Xoom on ebay today!).
...that was a crap device.

You can only have one common set of music sync'd to all devices.... which I now realise sucks because I have a 16BG iPhone and a 64GB iPad.
This means it is governed by the lowest denominator being the iPhone.

I can only have 13GB of music (actual storage available on the iPhone) on the iPad.

can anyone confim this to be the case?

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Manually sync your music - it's a setting in itunes - and sync whatever you want to each device.

I use playlists, one for an iPod touch where I want specific bedside music, and one for my phone where I want upbeat music, then another classic hits I want on my iPad.

-t

OP
A

anthonyhfoote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan...

I'm quite anal though, and I show my age...
I cannot STAND random songs in a removed by administrator collection.

Already doing manual select..my collection is over 200GB... I wipe and reload often.

I have 500 albums in perfect order with cover art etc..

Because of this, I select whole albums to sync....not sure if the "Playlist" solution will do the trick.

But thanks heaps for the suggestion!

:)

Last edited:

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Yes playlists is way to go, I have 2 iphones, a ipad and 7 ipods all syncing to the same library but each has there own playlist(s).

The advantage of playlists is that you can edit it them while the device isn't connected to itunes, unlike manually syncing.

I'm not sure why you think playlist won't work for you, just select the whole albums you want to sync and add them to whichever playlist you want.

OP
A

anthonyhfoote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it happening now - Thanks kids!

Took me a while to un-learn my previous methods and the setting changes needed to make it work.

Thanks for the help!

PS: bloody hot here today... Third week of Aussie spring and it's 35c already
(95f)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not a problem I sync 2 iPhones 1 iPod and 1 iPad plus apple tv all from same account e ach device has what I want on it also with ios 5 it is not an issue as all your music will be available in iCloud. But.... For a price.

Please keep posts clean this is a private forum thanks.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I synch four iDevices to the same iTunes account. No problem synching different music to each device.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use the Playlists method. I have an iPad2 playlist and iPhone4 playlists and just add things to each whenever I get new music if I want it on a certain device. Then when either device gets connected it automatically adds the music to the devices.

Most reactions