What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad too difficult to learn for a 62 year old?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sandiman said:
Am I the oldest here I wonder. I will be 75 next week :eek: but I wouldn't be without my iPad 3 or my iPhone 4s.:D

We have had a member here over 100, so you have a long way to go yet......but we are very glad that you are here!

The Archangel

mikeswife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My hubby is 62 & isn't much interested in computers. He has to use them at the hospital he works at & hates them. If he ever wants to send family a message or wants to look up something online he gets me to do it for him. I downloaded a bible app in his native language & the other day finally used that app to entice him to try the IPAD. He likes it! He likes it! It's just so much more intuitive than a regular computer. He's even talking about maybe getting one for himself now! He wants me to show him how to get around on facebook & email now! This was my 1st IPAD & 1st Apple product at 40 yrs old & I was able to get going on it right away easy.

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am 60 and never used an Apple product. The iPad could't be easier to use. This will make a great Fathers Day gift.

☮ ♥ 

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I gave my mom an iPad2 a year ago; she's 81. I practically had to force her to try it as she really wasn't that interested in it. I promised her that I'd take it back if she found she didn't like it during the 30-days I had to return to Best Buy for a full refund.

Today? I swear that if I tried to take it from her ... she'd hunt me down and beat me up! :D She is on it every day and thoroughly enjoys it (as she was about a week into using it ... it didn't take the full 39 days).

Oftentimes, it's the "getting it into your/their hands" part that's the key. Once they try it - that's usually all that's needed. But, all you can do is try. If he doesn't like it, just return it. Most stores have excellent return policies.

Good luck. And what an awesome gift!

Marilyn

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My neighbor's mother is 89 and loves her iPad. She has to have it for her games and staying in touch as she tells me. Age is just a number now a days. I say buy it for him, show him how to use it. You will become his favorite child ;)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My husband and I purchased an iPad for my mom who is 76 years old last month. We than also bought an iPad for his sister who turned 63 today. They both love their iPads. My mom needed about a week to really feel comfortable with it, but is now on her way! She absolutely loves it.

My sister-in-law loved hers instantly! So easy and quick to learn. Buy it, you will love it!

OP
C

CRVetrano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice, thank you everyone :) I will be sure to get it for him. Our company has a laser engraver as well so I'll put his name on the back ;)

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My uncle is 71 and he LOVES his iPad. I don't think anyone can go wrong by getting an older person an iPad. It if doesn't work out, just return it, regift it, or keep it for yourself. :D

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My uncle is 71 and he LOVES his iPad. I don't think anyone can go wrong by getting an older person an iPad. It if doesn't work out, just return it, regift it, or keep it for yourself. :D

Great response!

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'll be 74 in a month and I just bought mine a week ago.
While there is a learning curve just make sure you put the iPad Instruction Book on the screen as a link and go from there.

Mike

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My mother just turned 73 and we got her one a few months ago and she loves it!! Would recommend it highly

Kelvin1950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to purchase one for my father on Father's day... but I fear he may be too old to jive with the new technology! Any suggestions?

I'm 62. If I hadn't taken early retirement I would still be training IT s/w and h/w for a major multinational. What computer experience does your father have?

62 is the new 40. :)

dchristo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What learning curve? You run your finger across it, and stuff happens. You press little buttons and more stuff happens. Worst case is you learn something new that it does every day. Don't deprive the old folks of such a great toy.

Most reactions