What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my iPAD2 beyond repair?

bmeGT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read a few places that if the crack goes deep enough then it's pointless to replace the screen because the iPAD itself is a goner. Can you guys tell me if this is fixable? While I'm here, what's the best vendor to get replacement screens from?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4235.jpg
    IMG_4235.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_4234.jpg
    IMG_4234.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_4236.jpg
    IMG_4236.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 400

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've read a few places that if the crack goes deep enough then it's pointless to replace the screen because the iPAD itself is a goner. Can you guys tell me if this is fixable? While I'm here, what's the best vendor to get replacement screens from?

BOY, appears that 'something' quite heavy and pointed fell on the device - any more details - might help? Of course, the question is 'how much' internal damage was done which likely could be determine only by opening the iPad by 'someone' w/ experience in repairing these devices. Just a few more questions - is the case deformed and does it come on?

In the meantime, take a look at the appropriate iFixit iPad 2 Manual which will give you some idea about the complexity of the repair (i.e. just replacement of the glass and other layers) and the cost estimate; if you're not a DIY, then an assessment by a local reputable Apple repair service would be my only other suggestion. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
B

bmeGT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BOY, appears that 'something' quite heavy and pointed fell on the device - any more details - might help? Of course, the question is 'how much' internal damage was done which likely could be determine only by opening the iPad by 'someone' w/ experience in repairing these devices. Just a few more questions - is the case deformed and does it come on?

In the meantime, take a look at the appropriate iFixit iPad 2 Manual which will give you some idea about the complexity of the repair (i.e. just replacement of the glass and other layers) and the cost estimate; if you're not a DIY, then an assessment by a local reputable Apple repair service would be my only other suggestion. Good luck - Dave :)

It was dropped by a 5 year old onto the corner of a hearth. :/ Every time I try and speak to someone, they say they'll charge me for checking it out. I consider myself a very technical person and have the confidence that I can tackle this job. My roommate has also performed many iPhone screen repairs. The case (backing) is completely fine, but the iPad has been like this for many months. I have not tried plugging it up to the wall or computer to see if the screen works. I know that pressing the power button does nothing (but again, it may be dead). I was scared that something would short or fry out if I plug it up.

What signs would I be looking for to see if it was damaged when opening the screen?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you live close enough to an Apple Store you can take it in for a Genius Bar appointment. The appointment is free and so is the diagnosis of the problem. At that point you can make a decision on whether or not to repair or upgrade. Considering the age of the iPad you may want to consider upgrading.

If the internals are functional you may be able to back up your iPad and use that backup to restore a new or repaired iPad.

Last edited:

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it is still possible to repair. :) But better buy new one it'll cost near like brand new one. :)

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd say the odds are that the it's only the glass that is damaged. I would plug it in and see what happens, Since it's been unused for a while you may need to leave it plugged in for at least a half hour , maybe up to 24 hours before it comes to life . Worse case scenario is that both the glass and lcd are broken and you might blow a backlight fuse, but you could still recover your data via itunes,

Once it turns on, you should know right away if the actual LCD was damaged. If not , a glass repair should run $100 -$150 from a reputable repair service.

If you want to DIY the glass digitizer only runs $25 for an iPad 2 if you look on ebay. That being said, it is very tricky to do a glass replacement, not meant for the novice or easily discouraged.

If the LCD is damaged, that will run around $80 for parts. And may double your repair costs from a repair service. At that point you may want to cut your losses, wipe it and throw it on ebayu for parts to recoup some $$.

Most reactions