What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Mini 4 worth £100 more than Mini 2 for the processor?

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess something like this would do the trick?

Ex-Pro® LCD Screen Cleaning Kit complete with cloth, brush and bag. (Non chemical cleaner, great for iPad, PDA's, Tablets, TFT, LCD, Phones and virtually any other screen). Ex-Pro® LCD Screen Cleaning Kit complete with cloth, brush and bag. (Non chemical cleaner, great for iPad, PDA's, Tablets, TFT, LCD, Phones and virtually any other screen).: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

There are more expensive kits out there but I only need something to use once.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's the Griffin ordered, iPad to follow.

Before I put the iPad in the Griffin I want to get the screen as clean as possible because once it's in it's in. I'm hopeful that it won't need actual cleaning (ie with a liquid), but rather it might just need a light dusting off etc. Can anyone recommend some kind of cleaning kit (cloth, brush, air blower etc) that I can use which won't have any risk of scratching?

Congrats on getting started! :) The glass screens of these iDevices have a special oleophobic coating to help repel oily substances such as fingerprints, but since these are touch screens fingerprints, smudges, and dust are inevitable - quoted at the bottom are Apple's guidelines on cleaning your device (Source).

For myself, I have a variety of microfiber cloths designed for computer screens, optical discs, and glasses lens and that is all I use (sometimes I'll dampen w/ just a few drops of plain water). You really do not need to buy special kits w/ liquids and/or spray bottles which should be avoided. I've gotten so use to fingerprints that I rarely even clean the screen w/ a cloth. Dave

P.S. also, wife & I have never used the so-called 'screen protectors' although there are a number of threads in the forum on this practice w/ conflicting opinions; Apple's use of Corning's newest rendition of their Gorilla glass offers a remarkable surface by itself (Source).

I guess something like this would do the trick?

Ex-Pro® LCD Screen Cleaning Kit complete with cloth, brush and bag. (Non chemical cleaner, great for iPad, PDA's, Tablets, TFT, LCD, Phones and virtually any other screen). Ex-Pro® LCD Screen Cleaning Kit complete with cloth, brush and bag. (Non chemical cleaner, great for iPad, PDA's, Tablets, TFT, LCD, Phones and virtually any other screen).: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 11.28.58 AM.png

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Based on my experience of having my iPod Touch 4G inside a Griffin, it should be that I'll only need to clean the iPad screen once (with a proper cloth) and then I can use whatever I want to clean the outside of the Griffin. I've ordered that kit anyway because it seems to include the correct kind of cloth, which should hopefully be all I need.

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to let you know I'm now the proud owner of a 64GB WiFi iPad Mini 4, which is safely kept inside my Griffin Survivor case! I went secondhand in the end (has a 2-year warranty though), but they weren't kidding when they said mint condition, it's literally as good as new! And because I traded in my old Xbox and games for credit I ended up paying under £100. So yes, very happy indeed with this.

Thanks for all your help with this!

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to all things Apple, having bought my first iPhone (6s) in March. Well, it was an upgrade really. As predicted, it was followed by an Air one which was offered at "no upfront cost" from my network provider, so it was a no-brainer lol

The Air is superb, but I was thinking of treating myself to a Mini 2 as my "go anywhere" iPad....but then looked at the spec of the Mini 4...and I'm tempted. I like the idea of a 64gb Mini 4, but it's a huge jump price wise as Ian pointed out. In an ideal world, I'd get a Mini 4 cellular version and just swap my data sim over from my Air. But again, there's a big jump between the Wi-Fi only mini and the cellular (£100 extra).
I was told that I could always use my iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, but I was told that this drains the phone's battery.

I like the bargain price of the Mini 2 (even the 32gb cellular version is reasonable) but I don't want to buy one and then pine for a Mini 4.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad mini 4 will also be supported and continue to receive iOS updates for longer than the iPad mini 2. One of the biggest advantages of the cellular version of any iPad model is that it has the GPS chip and can be used for offline navigation even without a data plan as long as you're using a navigation app that allows you to download the maps you need while still on WiFi.

Last edited:

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad mini 4 will also be supported and continue to receive iOS updates for longer than the iPad mini 2. One of the biggest advantages of the cellular version of any iPad model is that it has the GPS chip and can be used for offline navigation even without a data plan as long as you're using a navigation app that allows you to download the maps you need while still on WiFi.

Oh, I see. I guess I'm just going to have to dig deeper into my pockets (I mean my credit card lol) and pay the extra for a 64gb mini 4. Thanks for the info, btw.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. I guess I'm just going to have to dig deeper into my pockets (I mean my credit card lol) and pay the extra for a 64gb mini 4. Thanks for the info, btw.
Because the iPad hardware cannot be upgraded after purchase, it's normally better to buy the highest specification you can afford, based on your current and projected future needs. The final decision is, of course, up to the person making the purchase.

Tommy96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because the iPad hardware cannot be upgraded after purchase, it's normally better to buy the highest specification you can afford, based on your current and projected future needs. The final decision is, of course, up to the person making the purchase.

An iPad wasn't even on my radar until I got my first iPhone in March. This was then quickly followed by a 32gb Air 1 (cellular version). I was thinking of getting a Mini 2, but I was told that the Air is slightly better. Plus I didn't want a top of the range iPad for my first experience.

However, I had no idea how addictive this iPad was going to be! I bought a Tecknet Bluetooth keyboard which has transformed my Air into a small laptop...which means I use my real laptop less often.
A Mini 4 would be my "take anywhere" iPad I think - just like a small tablet from another brand.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a deal on my ipad 2 mini 32gb silver. It was $259 us dollars buy online in pick up in store. it was from Wal-Mart.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The processor question is a good one. I had the 32GB/Mini2 that had the home button die when it was just over 2 years old. I was rather surprised at the hardware issue. The cost to repair did not make sense. My home remedies had resurrected it once, but not the 2nd time.

For better or for worse, I traded it in on a 9.7 iPad Pro/128GB and am very pleased with it. The processor difference is noticeable.

And if you play games, the processor difference can be a major issue. The mini2 (A7?) processor would barely handle CSR2 after the upgrade to iOS 10. The processor in the iPad Pro (A9X?) handles that game wonderfully.

Fortunately, I found a good sale on the iPad Pro 9.7 at the time my mini2 died and got a fair trade in on an otherwise pristine mini2, so the cost impact wasn't as severe as it might have been.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure all mini 2's are not the same. If this was a major issue I'm sure that apple would have recalled it.

Most reactions

Latest posts