What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Mini 4 worth £100 more than Mini 2 for the processor?

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was pretty much set on getting the 16GB (won't need more than that) WiFi (don't need 3G) Mini 2, along with a Griffin Survivor case, because I like them.

But then I started considering spending the extra £100 for the equivalent Mini 4 instead. Problem is the Griffin Survivor for the Mini 4 is nearly twice as much (£45) as the customer-return Griffin Mini 2 that I've got my eye on (£25), and £45 is a hell of a lot for a case. So it would be a good £120 more overall.

The only upgrade that appeals to me on the Mini 4 is the upgraded processor, but even then I'm guessing that that might only be noticeable if playing high-end games, something which I wouldn't do (I've got my PC for that).

So really it's a case of deciding whether it would be worth paying the extra £120 or so for the better processor? Any thoughts?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was pretty much set on getting the 16GB (won't need more than that) WiFi (don't need 3G) Mini 2, along with a Griffin Survivor case, because I like them.

But then I started considering spending the extra £100 for the equivalent Mini 4 instead. Problem is the Griffin Survivor for the Mini 4 is nearly twice as much (£45) as the customer-return Griffin Mini 2 that I've got my eye on (£25), and £45 is a hell of a lot for a case. So it would be a good £120 more overall.

The only upgrade that appeals to me on the Mini 4 is the upgraded processor, but even then I'm guessing that that might only be noticeable if playing high-end games, something which I wouldn't do (I've got my PC for that).

So really it's a case of deciding whether it would be worth paying the extra £120 or so for the better processor? Any thoughts?

Just ordered my wife a 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad Mini 4 (to replace her original Mini) which will be a major upgrade for her, especially w/ the retina screen, much faster processors, and fingerprint technology (she has an iPhone 6 for a decent camera along w/ Apple pay). So, your main decision is as stated previously.

Personally if a strict budget is the issue, I'd buy a cheaper case and jump the storage from 16 GB to 64 GB (32 GB is not an option which I likely would have bought for her) - keep in mind that you'll only get about 12 GB of useable storage, just not enough these days for the modern iDevices. Dave :)

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem is if I upgrade the memory as well then it's a very big jump from the £220 16GB Mini 2 (or even from the £260 32GB Mini 2) to the £399 64GB Mini 4. And it's not surprising that Apple chose not to make a 32GB Mini 4 so that people would spend more. (It's things like that that actually make me want to spend less). I'll just think about it for a while longer.

Thanks for the help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Problem is if I upgrade the memory as well then it's a very big jump from the £220 16GB Mini 2 (or even from the £260 32GB Mini 2) to the £399 64GB Mini 4. And it's not surprising that Apple chose not to make a 32GB Mini 4 so that people would spend more. (It's things like that that actually make me want to spend less). I'll just think about it for a while longer.

Yep, about $100 USD jump from 16 to 64 GB (but less than the previous 16 to 32 leaps in storage) - 32 GB would be a 'sweet spot' for my wife's new iPad Mini but not a choice - but you'll be back here complaining about a 16 GB device in no time, unless you plan on having limited apps, no music, no videos, and few books/mags - could continue. Good luck in your thinking and please return if you have further questions. Dave :)

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm now looking at either a new 32GB Mini 2 or a preowned 64GB Mini 4, and I'm leaning towards the latter. Normally I wouldn't go preowned with something like this, but it's a reputable high street seller, grade A condition (supposedly "mint"), and with a 2-year warranty. I can't justify spending £400 on a new one (preowned is£70 less), and I can even spend a lot less than that by trading in various games and DVDs. And my hope is that a preowned Mini 4 wouldn't be slow because the Mini 4 is a new model.

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm basically set on the Mini 4 now.

I was also planning on buying the Griffin Survivor case. However, it has occurred to me that there are cases out there which double as Bluetooth keyboards, such as this one:

iPad Mini 4 Keyboard, JETech® Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Case for Apple iPad Mini 4 with 360 Degree Rotation and Multi-Angle Stand iPad Mini 4 Keyboard, JETech® Wireless Bluetooth: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

A keyboard would be really useful to me for certain apps. But I can't see how a keyboard/case could be used in conjunction with the Griffin. And I would guess that a case such as the one above wouldn't protect the screen as much as the Griffin.

So is it going to be a case of choosing between the Griffin and a keyboard/case combo? And if so, do the keyboard/case combos give reasonable protection?

Also, how do you know what keyboard/case combo to go for? The one I linked to is really quite cheap compared to some others, and it gets good reviews, so I can't see why I would need to spend two or three times as much.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello again - good decision on the iPad Mini 4 - I hope that you decided to go w/ 64 GB of storage? :)

My wife's Mini 4 arrived three days ago and setup that same night - I bought her the non-Apple 'smart case' shown below - looks great and she is loving the device. As to a KB, we use the separate Apple model but just not that often for us to warrant having a physical keyboard in some type of combo case. So, I cannot offer any specific recommendations except to read the reviews, pick your price range, and if possible visit some stores which offer different types of iPad cases (w/ or w/o a KB) to assess some in person. Dave
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 3.08.58 PM.png

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, going for 64GB.

It seems to me like the Griffin would only be good if I never intended to use a Bluetooth keyboard, because although a keyboard would no doubt work, the iPad plus Griffin plus keyboard would mean bulkyness.

Your case is nice, protecting the screen and acting as a stand (and presumably folding underneath too if needed). But no keyboard.

There is this one which tries to be both:

IVSO Apple iPad Mini 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple iPad Mini 4 Tablet (Black) IVSO Apple iPad Mini 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple iPad Mini 4 Tablet (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I can't tell if the keyboard is removable or not, but if it is then I wonder if it could be used as a case regardless of whether the keyboard is there or not. That way it would be like your case when it was without the keyboard, but with the option of still being a case with a built-in keyboard. What do you think?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind when looking a keyboard cases for an iPad Mini, those keyboard are going to be much smaller than a standard keyboard. When it comes to keyboard cases, a full sized iPad case is about as small as you can get and still maintain a normal feel/spacing for a keyboard.

So, if you have large hands, or are a skilled and practice typest, you may find keyboard cases for the iPad Mini to be uncomforable and/or difficult to use.

I highly recommend that you try a keyboard of this size before buying. (whether the same model and make or not)

That said, I've never had an iPad Mini; and I've always chossen to use a separate bluetooth keyboard for my other iPads. It's slightly less convinient to pack arround; but the selection is wider. And more importantlhy from my viewpoint, you can just leave it at home if you don't think you'll need it.

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I'll go and look at some keyboards before I buy one, because it will be small I'm sure. I wouldn't be trying to use the keyboard for typing in particular though (there are a few games which would benefit from a keyboard, but which don't require quick typing etc).

I suppose I need to work out when and where I would want to use the keyboard. I intend to use the iPad in work during my breaks, but I doubt I would use a keyboard when I was there because it would be something I would want to just get out quickly and then put away quickly again, rather than setting up Bluetooth etc. I would use the keyboard on the train, but I rarely travel on the train. And I would use the keyboard at home, although I'm not sure how well the iPad would stand up on its own on my lap, with a keyboard in front of it. Unless I could support the whole thing (iPad, case and keyboard) in my left hand and operate it with my right.

So that being the case, it does seem like maybe I would be better off buying a self-contained case, and then I can always buy a separate keyboard later on if need be. Although using the iPad in its own self-contained case )and having a keyboard that is totally separate) rather than connected by the case might be tricky.

Which then brings me back to choosing a case. I could just go for one of these cheap ones:

iPad Mini 4 Case, EasyAcc Ultra Slim Cover Smart: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Or a keyboard one:

IVSO Apple iPad Mini 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple iPad Mini 4 Tablet (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Or the good old (but bulky and expensive) Griffin:

Griffin Survivor All-Terrain Case for iPad Mini 4 - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

So many choices...

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, going for 64GB.

It seems to me like the Griffin would only be good if I never intended to use a Bluetooth keyboard, because although a keyboard would no doubt work, the iPad plus Griffin plus keyboard would mean bulkyness.

Your case is nice, protecting the screen and acting as a stand (and presumably folding underneath too if needed). But no keyboard.

Glad that you opted for the 64 GB - wife has over 40 GBs of storage left - I wanted to put some music on it for her and purchase some BT headphones, but she was not interested. The case is quite nice - only grabs two edges of the iPad Mini 4 but allows for more folding options (like the top left image in the pic I posted) - she never uses our Apple BT keyboard on the Mini except to enter recipes in our shared Paprika app. I use the BT KB for the same purpose and to respond to emails when we are 'on the road' (don't bring along my laptop).

I believe you need to decide if you'll really need a physical keyboard - if not often then those combo cases are bulkier and heavier, so just some considerations - really a personal preference & decision.

There is this one which tries to be both:

IVSO Apple iPad Mini 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple iPad Mini 4 Tablet (Black) IVSO Apple iPad Mini 4 Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple iPad Mini 4 Tablet (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I can't tell if the keyboard is removable or not, but if it is then I wonder if it could be used as a case regardless of whether the keyboard is there or not. That way it would be like your case when it was without the keyboard, but with the option of still being a case with a built-in keyboard. What do you think?

Looks like a nice case and at an excellent price - in answer to your question above, I scrolled down to the bottom of the link and found the response below - Amazon's Q & A section for their products often answers many questions from customers that have purchased the products under discussion. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 6.56.55 PM.png

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it seems like the keyboard is detachable. Although there are a few reviews which say that some of the keys came off after a short while which is a bit of a worry. Maybe the craftsmanship isn't all that great, which would explain the low price.

I'm now leaning towards the Griffin again. It's just as bulky as the keyboard/case combos, but it gives ultimate protection, including protecting the screen at all times, even when in use. And although they are expensive they are very well built. So I think that's they way to go, and then buy a separate keyboard later.

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the Griffin ordered, iPad to follow.

Before I put the iPad in the Griffin I want to get the screen as clean as possible because once it's in it's in. I'm hopeful that it won't need actual cleaning (ie with a liquid), but rather it might just need a light dusting off etc. Can anyone recommend some kind of cleaning kit (cloth, brush, air blower etc) that I can use which won't have any risk of scratching?

Most reactions