What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini 4 Ordered for Susan - an added BD present!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A few days ago, I was updating our iDevices to iOS 9.2.1 - well, her iPhone 6 & my iPad Air 2 went quickly but her OLD original iPad Mini seemed to take forever (and I was trying to watch a movie @ the same time - UGHH!) - so I ordered her a new iPad Mini 4 online - space gray (as shown below) - 64GB and Wi-Fi only (our preference since we always seem to stay @ places w/ Wi-Fi).

NOW, a case - looked at Apple's offerings, the 'smart cover' seems to be just a half solution requiring a backing totaling $100 - well TOO much for me, so added the item below from Amazon, Cambond case w/ good reviews and an excellent price - she wanted the faux-leather appearance which arrived today - expect the Mini in a day or two - will back up her old device and just do a cabled transfer from her iMac. I believe that she'll be amazed at the upgrade! Dave :)

P.S. also added Apple Care for an extra year of coverage.
Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 7.32.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 12.02.52 AM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK - for those not knowing the meaning of my '..added BD present' - less than a week ago, my spouse of nearly 46 years turned 70 y/o (I'll hit that 'milestone' in April) - well, she deserved some special treats, I believe.

So, on her BD, we drove to the Washington Duke Inn (first pic below) on the Duke University campus in Durham (just 90 min drive) - put a post or so in my travelogue of the area - however, our trip was cut short by Storm Jonas - we return a day early, a bummer (missed our dinner @ the Inn). So, a second present was an order for a new Mini - finally, in a few months, we are returning to Florida w/ a stay at the Don Cesar (second pic) on St. Pete's beach (probably our 4th to 5th stay there in 40 years or so) - NOW, will I have done enough? Probably not - ;) Dave
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 1.47.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 1.48.20 AM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Happy birthday, Susan! Lucky lady!

Thanks Sangpo - I call her a 'high maintenance woman' and she agrees - OH MY! :p It's been a wonderful trip - :)

WELL, her iPad Mini 4 arrived today, so started the setup and was planning to just plug into iTunes on her iMac and do a restore from an immediate backup of her old Mini - well to my surprise not a possibility - why?, her old Mini was on iOS 9.2.1 and all apps updated - so had to do a 'new' setup and then go through a restore which took me longer than expected w/ a 'crap load' of password entries - rather irritating but eventually worked out well.

I suspect the issue was the older hardware and much lower screen resolution of the old Mini, i.e. apps for these iDevices have different 'sub-versions' designed to work w/ specific hardware & screen resolutions, so many of her apps needed to be updated to versions that would work w/ her newer Mini - others may want to supply their own interpretations but just stated for those who may have the same experience.

BUT, all is well - she is loving the MUCH improved resolution and the Touch ID - she'll also soon notice the speed difference - many of her Kindle books needed to be deleted and downloaded again (likely related to the screen resolution and different versions) - and I'm sure other little changes will be needed - bottom line - a happy spouse - I'll revert her old Mini to factory settings (it's already off 'Find my Phone') and try to sell on an online site (used Glyde for my old iPad 2) - don't expect much but should pay for AppleCare - Dave :)

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Sangpo - I call her a 'high maintenance woman' and she agrees - OH MY! :p It's been a wonderful trip - :)

WELL, her iPad Mini 4 arrived today, so started the setup and was planning to just plug into iTunes on her iMac and do a restore from an immediate backup of her old Mini - well to my surprise not a possibility - why?, her old Mini was on iOS 9.2.1 and all apps updated - so had to do a 'new' setup and then go through a restore which took me longer than expected w/ a 'crap load' of password entries - rather irritating but eventually worked out well.

I suspect the issue was the older hardware and much lower screen resolution of the old Mini, i.e. apps for these iDevices have different 'sub-versions' designed to work w/ specific hardware & screen resolutions, so many of her apps needed to be updated to versions that would work w/ her newer Mini - others may want to supply their own interpretations but just stated for those who may have the same experience.

BUT, all is well - she is loving the MUCH improved resolution and the Touch ID - she'll also soon notice the speed difference - many of her Kindle books needed to be deleted and downloaded again (likely related to the screen resolution and different versions) - and I'm sure other little changes will be needed - bottom line - a happy spouse - I'll revert her old Mini to factory settings (it's already off 'Find my Phone') and try to sell on an online site (used Glyde for my old iPad 2) - don't expect much but should pay for AppleCare - Dave :)
Thanks, Radman, for spending so much time backing up my old iPad and installing my new one. It was quite a chore, requiring knowledge and skill which I don’t have (to put it mildly). It’s a much improved machine, much sharper images. xxxxx

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK - for those not knowing the meaning of my '..added BD present' - less than a week ago, my spouse of nearly 46 years turned 70 y/o (I'll hit that 'milestone' in April) - well, she deserved some special treats, I believe.

So, on her BD, we drove to the Washington Duke Inn (first pic below) on the Duke University campus in Durham (just 90 min drive) - put a post or so in my travelogue of the area - however, our trip was cut short by Storm Jonas - we return a day early, a bummer (missed our dinner @ the Inn). So, a second present was an order for a new Mini - finally, in a few months, we are returning to Florida w/ a stay at the Don Cesar (second pic) on St. Pete's beach (probably our 4th to 5th stay there in 40 years or so) - NOW, will I have done enough? Probably not - ;) Dave
View attachment 70122 View attachment 70123
How dare you post my age? (Actually, I don’t mind, since I’m still “spry” (a very old lady word)) As to doing more for my birthday, of course you could do more. After all, one can never have too much birthday. ;)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How dare you post my age? (Actually, I don’t mind, since I’m still “spry” (a very old lady word)) As to doing more for my birthday, of course you could do more. After all, one can never have too much birthday. ;)

Well, I think 'our friends' here knew we were early 'baby boomers' - just amazing that means the first of us are turning 70 y/o - and you know that more 'treats' are likely to come your way, as well deserved! - ;)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I think 'our friends' here knew we were early 'baby boomers' - just amazing that means the first of us are turning 70 y/o - and you know that more 'treats' are likely to come your way, as well deserved! - ;)

BOY - did not notice that I just hit the 5K post level - WOW! Not equal to many other cherished posters here, but kind of a 'warm, cuddly' feeling of belonging - Dave :)

Most reactions