What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

love my mini but....

drash11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi friends,

got my ipad mini 64gb LTE in Dec. 2012. I absolutely love it and its with me all the time.
I recently found out that apple will NOT replace batteries for the ipad, but will replace the whole thing with a refurb.

I know the battery will probably last 3 years.. and I'll probably upgrade sooner than that.
But it knid of bums me out to have a device I paid so much for which is essentially 'disposable'.

Does this bother anyone else? Is there a way to DIY your battery replacement for the mini ;ifixit score: 2/10 :(

I tend to get attached to my gadgets.. I have a lot of old stuff that I've replaced the battery for. I just wanted the option to replace I guess!!!

Cheers!

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tend to get attached to my gadgets.. I have a lot of old stuff that I've replaced the battery for. I just wanted the option to replace I guess!!!

Cheers!

Start a collection of these obsolete things, in 20 years they may be collectors items!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are people out there who make a living repairing iDevices. They can replace the screen...and if you can get into it, you can replace the battery. Just google around. GIYF. {Google is your friend}.

Personally, I don't worry about these kinds of things....by the time the battery dies, it will be ready for something new anyway. No electronic device is designed to last forever. I have laptops so old you can't even buy a battery for it. That's the way of the world.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me. I had one of my iPad 1s for about 2.5 years and its battery was still going strong when I recently gave it away, after intensive use. I figure that the battery will outlive the device's use for me, and if not, I'm fine with sending in and having Apple send me another with a new battery if needed.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
In most cases, the batteries will last longer than support for the device through upgrades will. Consider how many iPad 1's are still going strong and how the iPad 1 has not been receiving any new updates for iOS since the last version of iOS 5. I upgrade my devices based on iOS update support. I sold my iPad 1 when it would no longer be updated. Battery was still going strong, allowing for 7-9 hours of life with my use.

In 3 years, the battery will be the least of the support issues for an iOS device.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like shades of the grumping when the iPod first came out. That is life with Apple products. Fortunately, there are clear and explicit instructions readily available to replace the battery when the time comes. In a number of years.

Most reactions

Latest posts