What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it illegal to ask questions??

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You didn't have a valid point to begin with so not sure why you were arguing to being with...

OP
H

Hussainal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is something interesting I was reading about jail breaking, I found it in Wikipedia . . .

USA Legal issues

The legality of jailbreaking an iPod or iPhone remains unclear, particularly in the context of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As part of the 2009 DMCA rulemaking, the Electronic Frontier Foundation asked the US Copyright Office to recognize an exemption to the DMCA to permit jailbreaking in order to allow iPhone owners to use their phones with applications that are not available from Apple's store.[28] In response to this, Apple filed comments opposing this exemption and indicating that they do consider jailbreaking to be a violation of copyright (and by implication prosecutable under the DMCA). A ruling on this proposed exemption has not yet been made, but a decision is expected sometime later in 2010.
Tim Wu, a professor at Columbia Law School, has argued that jailbreaking is "legal, ethical, and just plain fun."[29] Wu cites an explicit exemption issued by the Librarian of Congress in 2006 for personal unlocking, which notes that locks "are used by wireless carriers to limit the ability of subscribers to switch to other carriers, a business decision that has nothing whatsoever to do with the interests protected by copyright" and thus do not implicate the DMCA.[30] Wu does not claim that this exemption applies to those who help others unlock a device or "traffic" in software to do so.

iOS jailbreaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jailbreak issue is vague even in the court, it's legality becomes a depate.

dpizzo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is something interesting I was reading about jail breaking, I found it in Wikipedia . . .

USA Legal issues

The legality of jailbreaking an iPod or iPhone remains unclear, particularly in the context of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As part of the 2009 DMCA rulemaking, the Electronic Frontier Foundation asked the US Copyright Office to recognize an exemption to the DMCA to permit jailbreaking in order to allow iPhone owners to use their phones with applications that are not available from Apple's store.[28] In response to this, Apple filed comments opposing this exemption and indicating that they do consider jailbreaking to be a violation of copyright (and by implication prosecutable under the DMCA). A ruling on this proposed exemption has not yet been made, but a decision is expected sometime later in 2010.
Tim Wu, a professor at Columbia Law School, has argued that jailbreaking is "legal, ethical, and just plain fun."[29] Wu cites an explicit exemption issued by the Librarian of Congress in 2006 for personal unlocking, which notes that locks "are used by wireless carriers to limit the ability of subscribers to switch to other carriers, a business decision that has nothing whatsoever to do with the interests protected by copyright" and thus do not implicate the DMCA.[30] Wu does not claim that this exemption applies to those who help others unlock a device or "traffic" in software to do so.

1. I thought you were done arguing.
2. Please point me to the law that states jailbreaking is illegal.
3. Do you not realize that one action (jailbreaking) is just something that is frowned upon by a corporation, but the other action (installing cracked apps) is stealing from a developper who puts time, effort and talent to produce a product for sale.

OP
H

Hussainal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooh please Mr. Admin just close it, enough is enough!!

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wikipedia, only the truth allowed. :confused:

USA Legal issues

Most reactions

Latest posts