What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is backlight bleeding normal

OP
T

tmurray315

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased the ipad 3(3rd gen) has bleeding on the corners and around the frame

L

Lunar

On reading this thread last light, I also did a check for edge light bleeding, and even with all the lights off in the room with just something small in centre of screen with just black around outside edges, I really could'nt see any light bleeding through at all, I was expecting a small amount which TBH if only very small, I would consider it acceptable anyway, but no, alls fine.. at least on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lunar

I just purchased the ipad 3(3rd gen) has bleeding on the corners and around the frame

If you think it's really noticable, I would ask them to change it, they will change no probs, but if it's only visible slightly when the screen is black then may not be worth hastle of swapping as I doubt you will notice in normal use, but if it really is noticable, Me.. I'd get it swapped out.

OP
T

tmurray315

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not as bad as i seen others screens but i rather have no bleeding its not to noticeable but im really anal when it comes to this stuff if i get it exchanged i dont want to get another one thats worse than mine

L

Lunar

That's why it is best to see if you can notice an issue in normal use. If you can't, then don't go looking for an issue as it is clearly fit for use. There were loads of people asking last year what to look for as they didn't know what backlight bleeding was. If they hadn't noticed an issue in the first place with the screen then I don't know why they were so keen to find an issue.

Absolutely agree, if it's only minor, it will only show on black areas, and I bet u have to really look for it, but if it truly is noticable + in your mind now it's probably quite noticable because your'e now looking for it, then get it changed & hope next one is much improved. IME your quite lucky to get one thats has no bleed at all, same applies to monitors or TVs... at least we seem lucky these days that incidents of bad cluster pixels seem very rare indeed... thank god..lol

OP
T

tmurray315

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So its rare to not get an ipad 3rd gen with no bleed at all? I have an appointment with apple today and see what they think i just want one with no bleed because now that i know its there its bugging me now

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tmurray315 said:
So its rare to not get an ipad 3rd gen with no bleed at all? I have an appointment with apple today and see what they think i just want one with no bleed because now that i know its there its bugging me now

Let us know how you get on.

As for being rare, it's a bit early to tell as they only started delivering/selling them yesterday but hopefully rare.

The Archangel

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The fact that there is so many that perfect would have me exchanging yours. Back with the iPad2, most all had back light bleeding so exchanging it then wasn't worth it then. Go get a perfect one.

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I test this? How do I get the black screen to test this!

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pego99 said:
How do I test this? How do I get the black screen to test this!

Cover the camera and take a picture. Now view this photo in a darkened room with brightness around 50% and look for light patches around the edges bleeding into the screen. You are more likely to notice it with brightness up full but in a darkened room you should never need the brightness up that high.

OP
T

tmurray315

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ya i have an appointment with apple later i hope they have ipads in stock so i can exchange mine

OP
T

tmurray315

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So just went to apple they swapped it out hopefully this one is fine

OP
T

tmurray315

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so i just got back apple gave me a replacement one i did the blacklight test and heres the pic tell me what you guys think? i think i still got one that has this i have come to the conclusion that all ipads have this issue and its not going to be perfect photo (4).JPG

Most reactions

Latest posts