What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is backlight bleeding normal

applechick

iPF Noob
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
8
dessipation said:
See if you have the same problem when you are in Airplane Mode.

Yes... I just tried it. My problem is under the black border. I can only see it if I lay the iPad flat. I'm just worried its going to spread to the actual screen.....
 

dynasty82

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 15, 2012
Messages
25
Reaction score
2
applechick said:
Yes... I just tried it. My problem is under the black border. I can only see it if I lay the iPad flat. I'm just worried its going to spread to the actual screen.....

I had the same issue with one of mine. It wasn't screen bleed like most of these pictures are of. Its almost like you can see under the bezel or the light shines out between the bezel and the screen. Mine was only seen when you viewed it at a shallow angle, from the side almost. It was just to the right of the front facing camera. I have 4 new iPads and only noticed this on 1 of them so it's being replaced. With as much money as I spent and the amount of emphasis they put on such a high quality screen, I'm going to be a little more picky.
 
L

Lunar

Guest
Does anyone know if this worsens overtime or does it remain the same?

As someone who has repaired hundreds of monitors and TV over many years, before i retired I was service manager for Master Care. the people who did the maintenance and repairs for the DSG group in the UK, thats PC World, and the Curry's stores plus several other contracted stores.

I can assure you, backlight bleed does not normally get worse, it actually consists of a special high density strip sealed inside the lcd panel near the perimeter. My Dell monitor has just a small touch of light bleed in one spot but has never got worse, it can't really, and I'm not worried at all, as it's not visible at normal lighting conditions at all. Just take a look at your TV in a darkened room with a dark or black picture and I'll guarantee it'll likely have some degree of light bleed, It's very rare to see one that has none at all. If the light bleed is bad its something that cannot be repaired, all one can do is change the lcd panel itself. As all modern panels for years now have the backlight built-in and encapsilated in the panel. If you cannot see any issues in normal use then don't let it spoil your enjoyment of your new iPad or TV/Monitor. As stated many times if it's definately visible at normal lighting then ask for a replacement... in the case of the previous poster, it obvously sounds like that panel has a manufacturing fault, and should indeed be replaced.

The early TV lcd panels used to use a external light source for back lighting, but everything is now encapsilated in the panel, IOW no servicable parts, (other than the converter unit on TV's) which is usually what goes faulty when the backlight fails on large panel TVs.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

applechick

iPF Noob
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
8
dynasty82 said:
I had the same issue with one of mine. It wasn't screen bleed like most of these pictures are of. Its almost like you can see under the bezel or the light shines out between the bezel and the screen. Mine was only seen when you viewed it at a shallow angle, from the side almost. It was just to the right of the front facing camera. I have 4 new iPads and only noticed this on 1 of them so it's being replaced. With as much money as I spent and the amount of emphasis they put on such a high quality screen, I'm going to be a little more picky.

Did it remain the same or get worse over time?
 

applechick

iPF Noob
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
8
Lunar said:
As someone who has repaired hundreds of monitors and TV over many years, before i retired I was service manager for Master Care. the people who did the maintenance and repairs for the DSG group in the UK, thats PC World, and the Curry's stores plus several other contracted stores.

I can assure you, backlight bleed does not normally get worse, it actually consists of a special high density strip sealed inside the lcd panel near the perimeter. My Dell monitor has just a small touch of light bleed in one spot but has never got worse, it can't really, and I'm not worried at all, as it's not visible at normal lighting conditions at all. Just take a look at your TV in a darkened room with a dark or black picture and I'll guarantee it'll likely have some degree of light bleed, It's very rare to see one that has none at all. If the light bleed is bad its something that cannot be repaired, all one can do is change the lcd panel itself. As all modern panels for years now have the backlight built-in and encapsilated in the panel. If you cannot see any issues in normal use then don't let it spoil your enjoyment of your new iPad or TV/Monitor. As stated many times if it's definately visible at normal lighting then ask for a replacement... in the case of the previous poster, it obvously sounds like that panel has a manufacturing fault, and should indeed be replaced.

Thank you for the information. Mine is not visible unless I look for it, which I seem to keep doing. I would rather not have to drive to the Apple store as it isn't close and I've already set this iPad up and put zagg body shield on it!
 

dynasty82

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 15, 2012
Messages
25
Reaction score
2
applechick said:
Did it remain the same or get worse over time?

It haven't got any bigger since I've noticed it but it's only been a week. I don't think it will get any worse but I can't say for sure. I just got mine replaced since it annoyed me once I saw it.
 
L

Lunar

Guest
Thank you for the information. Mine is not visible unless I look for it, which I seem to keep doing. I would rather not have to drive to the Apple store as it isn't close and I've already set this iPad up and put zagg body shield on it!

If you can actually see light shining though under the screen, rather than a touch of greying in a small area on the edge of the screen in a darkened room with brightness higher than normal, this obvously warrants replacement. However if you cannot see it at all, unless as you say you have to specifically look for it, then maybe it's not worth changing especially if everything else is okay..ie. no bad pixels etc. I agree with you though about continually looking for it, it's no different to your first tiny chip on the windscreen of your new car for example, human nature seems to fixate our eyes on it...

I was exactly the same with my 1st ipad3 which had a tiny partical of dust under the screen which was visible on white or light grey color screens. It looked like a tiny 1mm very fine hair 2"" in from the side, yet I didn't notice it until the second day because it was barely visible, but once I spotted it, I could then see it all the time because I knew exactly where to look.
When I returned it, the store staff said they could'nt see it, well one said he could just about see something.. but I could see it fairly easily, I think one of the biggest fears when returning something like this is that we may get one with something else that's not perfect.

The fact is, these things are assembled by human beings, and even when machines make them, there will always tiny differences in every single one, differences perhaps that are not visible to the human eye, I have a tiny amount of light bleed in a couple of places which is just detectable if I turn up the brightness and look for it in a dark room, but AIS previously, I simply cannot see it at all in normal use and I could end up with a worse one, so I'm keeping it. I'm streaming TV on it at the moment which has a small black border all round the picture, and I cannot see any sign of light bleed anywhere, with brightness at 45/50% with just a small low 15watt wall light on.

By it's very nature, glass or something like clear plastic perpex will easily transmit light, IOW if you shine a light at the end of a clear plastic rod it will emit light from the other end, hence the whole principle of fibre optics, so you will always get a certain amount of bleed glare even if just from illuminated pixels it's the nature of the beast..lol. BTW.. something that many people don't realise, and that is, unlike the old CRT TV's, LCD screens should'nt really be viewed in a dark room anyway, due to the very fact they have backlights. The old Cathode Ray Tubed TV's obviously had no backlight as they illuminated special prospher coatings at the rear of the front tube glass, and so to some extent looked better in subdued light, same as Super Oled technology (which IMO is the future for TV panels) that however does not apply to LCD panels which require backlighting, otherwise your blacks on a LCD panel in a dark room will look more a dark grey than black.. anyway enough of my ramblings.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

applechick

iPF Noob
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
248
Reaction score
8
Lunar said:
If you can actually see light shining though under the screen, rather than a touch of greying in a small area on the edge of the screen in a darkened room with brightness higher than normal, this obvously warrants replacement. However if you cannot see it at all, unless as you say you have to specifically look for it, then maybe it's not worth changing especially if everything else is okay..ie. no bad pixels etc. I agree with you though about continually looking for it, it's no different to your first tiny chip on the windscreen of your new car for example, human nature seems to fixate our eyes on it...

I was exactly the same with my 1st ipad3 which had a tiny partical of dust under the screen which was visible on white or light grey color screens. It looked like a tiny 1mm very fine hair 2"" in from the side, yet I didn't notice it until the second day because it was barely visible, but once I spotted it, I could then see it all the time because I knew exactly where to look.
When I returned it, the store staff said they could'nt see it, well one said he could just about see something.. but I could see it fairly easily, I think one of the biggest fears when returning something like this is that we may get one with something else that's not perfect.

The fact is, these things are assembled by human beings, and even when machines make them, there will always tiny differences in every single one, differences perhaps that are not visible to the human eye, I have a tiny amount of light bleed in a couple of places which is just detectable if I turn up the brightness and look for it in a dark room, but AIS previously, I simply cannot see it at all in normal use and I could end up with a worse one, so I'm keeping it. I'm streaming TV on it at the moment which has a small black border all round the picture, and I cannot see any sign of light bleed anywhere, with brightness at 45/50% with just a small low 15watt wall light on.

By it's very nature, glass or something like clear plastic perpex will easily transmit light, IOW if you shine a light at the end of a clear plastic rod it will emit light from the other end, hence the whole principle of fibre optics, so you will always get a certain amount of bleed glare even if just from illuminated pixels it's the nature of the beast..lol. BTW.. something that many people don't realise, and that is, unlike the old CRT TV's, LCD screens should'nt really be viewed in a dark room anyway, due to the very fact they have backlights. The old Cathode Ray Tubed TV's obviously had no backlight as they illuminated special prospher coatings at the rear of the front tube glass, and so to some extent looked better in subdued light, same as Super Oled technology (which IMO is the future for TV panels) that however does not apply to LCD panels which require backlighting, otherwise your blacks on a LCD panel in a dark room will look more a dark grey than black.. anyway enough of my ramblings.

Haha very good points you bring up. Thank you :)
 

Latest posts

Top