What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad3 and ios8

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mac world does not recommend ipad3 users to upgrade to ios8 'cause of reports that ipad3s run noticeably slower after upgrading. I would like to hear what the ipad3 community reports.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have to agree however I have found the latest update has resolved many issues. If you are happy with ios 7 and not concerned by some apps not working on 7 then stay where you are. The ipad 3 runs fine on 7

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mac world does not recommend ipad3 users to upgrade to ios8 'cause of reports that ipad3s run noticeably slower after upgrading. I would like to hear what the ipad3 community reports.

Probably a moot point depending on your needs to possibly upgrade - I took an old iPad 2 to iOS 8.x w/o a problem, so should work on the iPad 3 if you want the added features or have apps that need the newest iOS - for those interested, review the MacWorld Article HERE - really just a personal decision if you hardware is rated to permit the upgrade. Dave :)

OP
Docvan

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would have to agree however I have found the latest update has resolved many issues. If you are happy with ios 7 and not concerned by some apps not working on 7 then stay where you are. The ipad 3 runs fine on 7
I am still using ios6. I am finding more apps no longer working on any OS less than 7. Does the ipad3 work well on the latest version of ios8?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am still using ios6. I am finding more apps no longer working on any OS less than 7. Does the ipad3 work well on the latest version of ios8?

Well, I cannot answer that for an iPad 3, but worked fine on my old iPad 2 (now own an iPad Air 2) and on my wife's iPad Mini (first one), so I suspect you should have no problem, and if your 'desired' apps need the newer iOS, then little choice - a must try?

Just keep in mind that if you are planning on an OTA upgrade, 5 GB of free storage are needed - about half that for a cabled iTunes upgrade - if you have specific questions regarding this upgrade relative to your device, then please ask first before giving it a try - Dave :)

OP
Docvan

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably a moot point depending on your needs to possibly upgrade - I took an old iPad 2 to iOS 8.x w/o a problem, so should work on the iPad 3 if you want the added features or have apps that need the newest iOS - for those interested, review the MacWorld Article HERE - really just a personal decision if you hardware is rated to permit the upgrade. Dave :)
Thank you for your input.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad 3 works fine. The only place it's noticeably slower is 4-swiping up or doubleclicking the Home button to reveal the multitasking screen: iOS 7 was almost instantaneous, but in iOS 8 there's a slight pause, about 3/4 second. Ditto when choosing one of the apps to bring forward. As I only do this a few times per day, it's not more than mildly irritating. My wife, who hates change, has not complained about it on her original Mini. Otherwise, you won't notice. Videos and games work just the same. It's important to update to get the latest security patches.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS 6 to iOS 8 is going to take a little getting used to. Going to iOS 7 was a big visual change, with a few new user facing things spice it up. iOS 8 didn't mess much with how things look, but added a lot of new tricks and features; mostly hidden in the Share icon and in iCloud.

Put the two together and it's a pretty big jump.

OP
Docvan

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3 works fine. The only place it's noticeably slower is 4-swiping up or doubleclicking the Home button to reveal the multitasking screen: iOS 7 was almost instantaneous, but in iOS 8 there's a slight pause, about 3/4 second. Ditto when choosing one of the apps to bring forward. As I only do this a few times per day, it's not more than mildly irritating. My wife, who hates change, has not complained about it on her original Mini. Otherwise, you won't notice. Videos and games work just the same. It's important to update to get the latest security patches.
Thanks much for the info!

OP
Docvan

Docvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the info!

Most reactions

Latest posts