What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 charging in Germany

hgeorge164

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the power cord for an iPad2 purchased in the U.S. have a voltage range that is compatible for higher voltage in Germany. I couldn't tell from the user guide or from the adapter itself. Thanks for any help.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, but you will need the plug adaptor for the country you are in. I've seen lots of them on eBay for about $2.00. Just search "apple duckhead adaptor" and look for the "EU" adaptor.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Last edited:
OP
H

hgeorge164

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Yes, I have a plug adapter but I wasn't sure about the "dual voltage range" spec as supplied with the iPad. Appreciate it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - the iPad charger is compatible with all countries' power outlet voltages. It automatically adjusts across a range from about 100-250 volts A.C.

Tim

accessoriesguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cellularfactory.com
Yes - the iPad charger is compatible with all countries' power outlet voltages. It automatically adjusts across a range from about 100-250 volts A.C.

Tim

correcto, as long as their is enough (or over enough power) it will charge, Tesla's alternating current runs along through the wires but that big box connected to the cable converts the wonderful alternating current to direct current at the right wattage which then is fed to your device.

good charger boxes have fusses inside to prevent the device from ever getting damaged from incorrect power amounts :D

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is not a fuse in the charger, however there is a voltage regulator that will prevent you from supplying too much power. Even if you managed to connect it to 480v three phase you would not damage your iPad. It would not charge, but the extra power would not go through the converter.

-t

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all! Just arrived in Germany today, for work for foreseeable future, and I was down to 17%. I was hesitant to plug iPad in to charge even to this gray 'transformer'. But after reading this thread, I pressed forward and plugged in to charge. Voila!

Sent from Scooter, my White Verizon 32GB iPad using iPF

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I need to convince wife/kids that it works. I guess when they reach critical level and left w/ no options, they'll believe me.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Bought my iPad2 64GB WiFi precious thing in US and di not even twinkle when I charged it first times back home - didn't even think about that.
Apple would be not as successfull if they produced different specs for different countries...

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hpulmer said:
Bought my iPad2 64GB WiFi precious thing in US and di not even twinkle when I charged it first times back home - didn't even think about that.
Apple would be not as successfull if they produced different specs for different countries...

@hpul...so u just use the little converter plug and go straight into outlet even without the 'gray transformer' apparatus?

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
jncbankston said:
@hpul...so u just use the little converter plug and go straight into outlet even without the 'gray transformer' apparatus?

First I used an adaptor to plug the charger into a socket, later on (as I was aware that neither I will move to US nor we will change the plugs over here) I bought the euro-style plug for the iPad charger (available on eBay, pretty cheap) - but the adaptor will work just fine.
For Info, my original iPad charger says 10W... Input 100-240V on the last line of the very small light grey letters...

Attachments

• image-2832873850.png
    image-2832873850.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 400
  • image-480155830.png
    image-480155830.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 300
  • image-1904217624.png
    image-1904217624.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 293

jncbankston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hpul...def most informative and thanks for the pictures. They did help...and most surely extended our pleasure we get from these Apple products.
Sure makes it easy to transition overseas when there are helpful folks such as u & others on this online community. Thanks.

jb

Most reactions

Latest posts