What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD2 Camera, Worse than ever!

Is your Ipad2 camera terrible and grainy?

• Total voters

fbbdab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SingingSabre said:
Try out Bump. It's cross platform, super easy to set up and use, and actually kinda fun to use. Oh, and it's for the low, low price of free. :)

My camera has totally shut down the screen shot is the closed shutters. While I do not intend to use my iPad as a camera I do expect that all the functions will work properly. Has anyone found a fix to the problem short of the restart/reset or just taking it back to Apple?

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fbbdab said:
My camera has totally shut down the screen shot is the closed shutters. While I do not intend to use my iPad as a camera I do expect that all the functions will work properly. Has anyone found a fix to the problem short of the restart/reset or just taking it back to Apple?

I'm not understanding your problem. Perhaps you should post it under a new thread for technical assistance or search for your problem?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fbbdab said:

I'm not understanding your problem. Perhaps you should post it under a new thread for technical assistance or search for your problem?

Excellent idea. Let's not hi-jack this thread, please.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There really is no excuse for a picture-maker as poor as the one on the iPad. Especially not on a top-drawer instrument like the iPad2. I just wish I hadn't had to pay for it as I never had any intention of using it anyway. If I want a camera, I will use a real camera.

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the main point of the iPad 2 having a camera is for FaceTime or video chat. It was never really advertised as a great camera for stills. For video it is workable if there is enough light. So I'm not really bothered with the camera specs of my iPad2.

fbbdab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, when I sync'ed the iPad to the computer, the camera shut released and began functioning properly along with PhotBooth and FaceTime. I don't know if her was a fix in the update but the camera is working now.

tremblayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad 2's camera is horrible at night but I think its perfect at day. Try using it outside during the day. 

Ronfromcocoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
camera

I love the pics I get with my ipad , but then again I did not expect a nikon quality............

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh come on..... Who buys an ipad to use the camera??? Kind of like asking fopr a camera in your laptop. I can only justify the need for a front facing camera for apps and google talk.....

I occasionally read about how cumbersome and bothersome it is to use the iPad as a camera. Something about holding that large flat thing being too difficult. Coming from a Graflex/Crown Graphic background, a large sized "camera" like the iPad 2 is a walk in the park. Some of you are so young, you think all cameras must be small and measured in megapixels. So very sad, Smiley.

Try schlepping a vintage steel, wood, and cast iron tripod up the hill along with an 8 x 10 view camera and a bag of film holders and get back to me. Smiley.

As for the camera its'self, it is not very good in my view. Remember, I am old and crabby, so you kids better listen to your Uber-Elders for we know.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hi yall,

first time posting to a forunm EVER, but i cant sit here with this on my mind. I just got my Ipad2, 780.00 mind you,and while all the apps that are installed are beautifully clear, the CAMERA IS TERRIBLE! I play roller derby, and after seeing how pixilated my pictures are on the IPAD2 I am stunned. I cant say its because of the IPAD size, because I have an IMAC (Huge) and those pictures don't pixilate. Can anyone tell me why I can't take a decent photo without it being so GRAINY! Video as well! Is there a resolution for this problem? I bought it partially because the Iphone 4 takes such amazing photos! If i knew this, I would have stuck with my crappy old verizon phone, which takes crappy pictures. Is there an app that can fix this or does anyone think Apple will come up with a resolution to this that we WONT have to pay for?! (yeah right)
Thank you!

Welcome to the Forums.

Isn't your IMAC a desktop computer? Not the same as a camera. The camera in your iPad has a lens, a something else, and several Keebler Elves working hard to create image magic. Not sure your comparison is fair because your iMac is not a camera. Or is it?

Quality depends on many things and when you have lots of experience in the lab and you spent your youth behind truly fine cameras, no digital camera is good enough. For some, their multi-thousand digital wonder takes spectacular images. They are happy. For others, it is not even close when they compare Apples and Robots to Linhofs and Kodak Master View Cameras with Ektars.

Not sure Apple intends their iPad to be a camera. Rather, it is Facetime oriented. It is terrible way to take good images, but the word 'good' is in itself a problem depending on what is meant by good.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem with these debates is this: everyone has different needs and requirements and what works for me likely will never, ever work for you.

To say the camera quality is sub-par is something I can do because I know what a great image looks like and what it often requires to produce. And I am comparing the digital images to images on film and looking at things like highlights and shadow detail, sharpness, depth of field, etc. But that is just me.

For those with lesser needs, most modern cameras are workable. The camera in the iPhone is a good one but it would never be my choice.

I always opt for film, but film is not as fast as digital. By fast, I mean from camera to upload or print. No stinky chemicals and few here likely know their way around a darkroom, Smiley. They do not need to these days because their digital cameras do not need a darkroom. One could go for a large format film camera for quality, but after processing, the images must be scanned and that removes film from most people's consideration.

To say this is better than that requires further information; to say the quality of this is better than that also requires definition so we know what quality means to you.

Most reactions

Latest posts