What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD2 Camera, Worse than ever!

Is your Ipad2 camera terrible and grainy?

• Total voters

mobilemg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly..ipad2 camera's quality is not like iphone 4. But again, I would not use taking photo...holding a big junkie, though! I use iphone 4 and view/share via with my ipad2. It is for a marketing purpose from apple! Just wait for a little longer, the next update OS version would let you to share or able to buy app (photo transfer app) via sharing bluetooth/wireless. :)

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What I meant was...many people have already stopped carrying cameras because their cell phone now does the job just fine for their needs. That should always be the goal. To have the need for carrying other devices eliminated by it.

Why bring a camera when the internet/book/movieplayer I'm already carrying is capable of doing the job?

There are a lot of reasons why a phone or tablet will never replace a "real" camera. Lenses and sensor size and quality of the final result being just some of the reasons.

However the one that real matters to me is being able to see what you are photographing when outside - you will not be able to see anything on the phone/tablet screen in sunlight whereas with a camera you can look through the viewfinder and be able to see what you are about to photograph.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not understand any one would want to use an iPad as a camera it does not make sense it is fine in daylight for movies but lets not get carried away ok. Use a digital camera for main shooting not the iPad ok.

It is like buying a movie cam standard resolution you get 1 mp still images even full hd cameras mainstream are only 3 mp.

The bottom line the iPad is not designed to replace your standard digital camera please understand that even if it was 5 or 8 mp it still does not offer the features of a digital camera.
Finally do not expect the world with the iPad cameras they are not and I repeat not a big deal except for the rear camera for face time etc. Look at net computers most have lousy cams yet users accept that.

I have a 3GS iPhone I own a fuji 15 mp camera when I want to take real Picts do I use my iPhone. NO. Of course not. Hope that helps.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
I do not understand any one would want to use an iPad as a camera it does not make sense it is fine in daylight for movies but lets not get carried away ok. Use a digital camera for main shooting not the iPad ok.

It is like buying a movie cam standard resolution you get 1 mp still images even full hd cameras mainstream are only 3 mp.

The bottom line the iPad is not designed to replace your standard digital camera please understand that even if it was 5 or 8 mp it still does not offer the features of a digital camera.
Finally do not expect the world with the iPad cameras they are not and I repeat not a big deal except for the rear camera for face time etc. Look at net computers most have lousy cams yet users accept that.

I have a 3GS iPhone I own a fuji 15 mp camera when I want to take real Picts do I use my iPhone. NO. Of course not. Hope that helps.

Not that this topic hasn't been beat to death then resurrected to only get beat again yet,,, and I agree with you Col. But I think what most would agree on is the camera quality on the iPad2 is possibly subpar to darn near most other phones and portable devices on the market sold in 2011. Totally agree it isn't and wouldn't replace a "real camera", but as many stated, if your going to put one on the iPad at least keep it at a decent performance level like other phones/devices.
We have all come to realize how "all in one" gadgets are very addicting and handy... A good camera on the iPad is no different. :). I do believe and it goes along with what I had read yet the thickness of iPad2 was the issue with using current technology/decent cameras. Basically, something better would not fit and or keep the iPad2 within it's current price range.
I'm sure given all of the "interest" in the camera, iPad3 will receive an improvement in this area.

Cheers

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there are three main problems with the iPad camera.

Hardware.
Placement.
Software/processing.

The hardware is mediocre, but workable.

The placement is a bigger problem, but not insurmountable. The way the camera is a bump on a, for all intents and purposes, flat surface exposes it to spill-light which softens the picture horrible.

Finally, the software likes to, in my opinion, overexpose any pictures in lighting that is anything more than dusk.

In a week or two I'll try to write up a how-to post about using your iPad camera. I did the same for my Droid X on an Android forum. It just takes me a long while to find (almost) every nuance. :)

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AJTaliesen said:
No offense, but you sound like an apple developer here. This is the mindset that often drives people to use other products, even when the apple version is superior. It's a mindset that apple is famous for "I don't use it very often so you must not need it. You think you want it, but you're wrong, you don't."

A better question, and one that leads to more user friendly innovation is "Who carries a camera around with them all the time, when they already have a device capable of performing that function?"

But to answer the question...can you not see why having a camera with a real time 10 inch display screen would be desirable?

I don't see how a 10 in screen with a camera is desirable other than video chatting. If ur gonna use it outside to take a picture of your family, Ur gonna look very strange.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPhone 4 for pics. The iPad 2 that I have is used for web and email only. Although I did take one pic with it outside a a very sunny day and it turned out ok.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AJTaliesen said:
No offense, but you sound like an apple developer here. This is the mindset that often drives people to use other products, even when the apple version is superior. It's a mindset that apple is famous for "I don't use it very often so you must not need it. You think you want it, but you're wrong, you don't."

A better question, and one that leads to more user friendly innovation is "Who carries a camera around with them all the time, when they already have a device capable of performing that function?"

But to answer the question...can you not see why having a camera with a real time 10 inch display screen would be desirable?

I don't see how a 10 in screen with a camera is desirable other than video chatting. If ur gonna use it outside to take a picture of your family, Ur gonna look very strange.

I've started using my iPad camera as a scanner of sorts, for documents. I've been in a corporate rental on assignment, and I've lacked a scanner/printer, which I left at home. I had to send someone copies of a couple of short docs that I had, tried the iPhone camera, but the iPad camera ended up working better in that instance. It's hit or miss, depending on the size and contrast of the doc.

ArtWench

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GenerationX said:

I'm an artist and I use my iPad to take reference pics. Having this nice large screen helps me frame out my composition. Only wish the camera was better.

As for looking very strange... The first man to walk upright must have looked pretty darned strange to the knuckle draggers... Just sayin'!

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ArtWench said:
I'm an artist and I use my iPad to take reference pics. Having this nice large screen helps me frame out my composition. Only wish the camera was better.

As for looking very strange... The first man to walk upright must have looked pretty darned strange to the knuckle draggers... Just sayin'!

I basically use either Photo Transfer or Bump to send pics from my phone to my iPad. My phone has a pretty nice camera which works well with my iPad. Just thought you might be able to use that.

ArtWench

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:

Okay, here is a real life for instance, ie. my situation:

Imagine being a handicapped artist who loves to travel and find new subjects to paint. Because you are handicapped, you must limit the amount of equipment you carry with you which includes painting supplies. Each additional camera or device adds weight to your kit, which, if your handicap includes chronic pain, adds up to agony real quick! You find the perfect scene and need to snap some reference pics for finishing up the painting later in your studio... What is going to be more handy: the camera to which you can not add notes; or, the iPad which allows you to add notes regarding the site, the colors you are using, techniques, etc.? Plus, with the editing tools on the iPad, you can manipulate your subject ON THE SPOT, catching potential problems before you are three quarters of the way through your painting.

And don't forget, in the evening, after being inspired by a particularly fabulous sunset, you want to keep painting long after the light is gone. I guarantee, you don't want to halt in mid stride so that you can transfer your image from camera to computer to iPad (Or, if you've purchased the kit, from camera to iPad). Stopping to fiddle with electronics totally knocks you out of the zone... So what is your preference?

ArtWench

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SingingSabre said:
I basically use either Photo Transfer or Bump to send pics from my phone to my iPad. My phone has a pretty nice camera which works well with my iPad. Just thought you might be able to use that.

Haven't heard of those; but, I am excited to hear that they exist! Thanks for the heads up! Getting stuff from my iPhone to my iPad has been an issue because my computer is upstairs and I am handicapped. Getting up the stairs is not fun! Yeah, I know we should figure out a way to get it downstairs; however, we just don't have space in this house. Gotta just keep going 'til we can afford a new one level house!

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am amazed at the poeple who complain about using the ipad for the camera, um if we were not meant to use the camera on it, then why did they out one in? Sorry but for the price of these things the camera should work the same as any laptop! I know someone who got the 4th gen ipod touch and that camera is amazing when taking pics or video chatting on skype, so the ipad 2 I would think would work the same.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ArtWench said:
Haven't heard of those; but, I am excited to hear that they exist! Thanks for the heads up! Getting stuff from my iPhone to my iPad has been an issue because my computer is upstairs and I am handicapped. Getting up the stairs is not fun! Yeah, I know we should figure out a way to get it downstairs; however, we just don't have space in this house. Gotta just keep going 'til we can afford a new one level house!

Try out Bump. It's cross platform, super easy to set up and use, and actually kinda fun to use. Oh, and it's for the low, low price of free. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts