What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 battery life!

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have had my iPad2 64 Wifi for about nine moths. Once a month I let it run down to +/- 10% like I have read on the forum to do. It has never been exposed to extreme heat or any other conditions that would subject it to premature battery failure.
I am getting about five hours of Internet use.

What's up ?!?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this a new and sudden development or something that's been developing over time?

Tim

chris59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tomthbomb said:
Have had my iPad2 64 Wifi for about nine moths. Once a month I let it run down to +/- 10% like I have read on the forum to do. It has never been exposed to extreme heat or any other conditions that would subject it to premature battery failure.
I am getting about five hours of Internet use.

What's up ?!?

Im getting about the same and optimise with battery doctor do the same with my wifes but she is getting 8 hours + from hers so I would also be interested to hear comments.Will also be interesting to see if IOS5 helps.
Chris

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Is this a new and sudden development or something that's been developing over time?

Tim

Seems to be more pronounced in the last week. I don't use it extensively every day but I have been traveling lately and use it several hours a day. BTW, I plug in the charger every night.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your battery will drain faster if your iPad is struggling to find a Wi-Fi signal, among other possible reasons.

But if you've had a decent signal in the past and have gotten such crummy battery life, maybe you've got a rouge app that's sucking up juice. See how many apps you've got open. Shut them down. Reset your iPad. See whether battery life improves.

If I'd had such crap battery life, I would have checked with Apple long ago and gotten an exchange if they weren't able to resolve the problem. Both my iPad 1 and 2 have consistently delivered 10 hours of battery life even with nonstop 3G on.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't lowering the brightness of the screen also help improve battery life?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't lowering the brightness of the screen also help improve battery life?

There are many ways to preserve battery life, but even using a bright setting shouldn't cost you half the battery life that you're supposed to get with an iPad.

For standard ways to save battery life, search the forum. There are many previous threads. You also can find tips on Apple's website. OP's probably got a bigger problem if he's getting only five hours or so.

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chris59 said:
Im getting about the same and optimise with battery doctor do the same with my wifes but she is getting 8 hours + from hers so I would also be interested to hear comments.Will also be interesting to see if IOS5 helps.
Chris

What is battery doctor?

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Your battery will drain faster if your iPad is struggling to find a Wi-Fi signal, among other possible reasons.

But if you've had a decent signal in the past and have gotten such crummy battery life, maybe you've got a rouge app that's sucking up juice. See how many apps you've got open. Shut them down. Reset your iPad. See whether battery life improves.

If I'd had such crap battery life, I would have checked with Apple long ago and gotten an exchange if they weren't able to resolve the problem. Both my iPad 1 and 2 have consistently delivered 10 hours of battery life even with nonstop 3G on.

I do turn off app's I am not using but how do I reset it?

I have a Verizon mobile wifi hot spot that's usually within 5' of the iPad at all times.

OP
tomthbomb

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
OP's probably got a bigger problem if he's getting only five hours or so.

Is charging very night regardless of percentage of charge left a problem?

jchunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my experience with lithium batteries, they are most sensitive to over discharging. I have ruined a few by so doing. So I would never completely discharge the ipad battery. There is probably a safety circuit in the iPad to cut off power drain if the voltage drops too low. However, twenty % charge is as low as I would let it go.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to Apple, it is recommended that you drain your battery completely once a month. I try to remember that! It does NOT hurt it to do this ~ I drain mine to 2%, then it kicks off.

Check out the Apple manual re Battery on your iPad.

Last edited:

chris59

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tomthbomb said:
What is battery doctor?

It an app to assist in maximising battery life and performance I have it on both my ipad and I phone it's highly rated.

I run 10 email accounts and download a newspaper over a 2mb wifi connection and think that is perhaps my main drain problem.

Chris

Most reactions

Latest posts