What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Charge Time and Depletion

Zmanga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the battery should last 10 hours, but,

HOW LONG does it take to charge once it is fully depleted?

Also, I've been told that you should let your battery run completely out at least once a month, then recharge. Since it will go into sleep if you are not using it, what do you run on it so it will stay on and run down the battery?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want your iPad to stay on and not go to sleep

'Settings', 'Autolock', 'Never' will keep it on all the time.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Sorry, not my day today....

'Settings', 'General', 'Autolock', 'Never'...

Tim
Scotland

Isn't it around 4am? At least that's the current time in the Scotland I live in :)

To run down the battery, either leave the iPad on, as Tim described above or just don't charge the iPad until the battery runs low.

OP
Z

Zmanga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW - thanks for the QUICK responses.

I realize I could just wait til the battery ran down over time, but I like to keep it at a full charge so I have plenty of battery time.

So, I thought I should periodically FORCE the battery to run out.
Is this right? Or should I just charge it back up every night?
So, do I need to make the battery run all the way out or not?

If I do, I can just make the changes above to not let it go to sleep.

Thanks

Reaction score
You can just charge the iPad every night.

The only reason to let the iPad's battery run low would be for the iPad to recalibrate the battery. The battery % is an approximation based on the voltage supplied by the battery, as the battery gets used the voltage slowly decreases. A used battery will even when fully charged, supply a lower voltage, so essentially this changes the voltage range in which the device can operate. When the device is uncalibrated, it is possible that a fully charged iPad shows less than 100%, because due to wear the battery cannot supply the voltage linked to 100%. So running the battery completely down simply tells the device in what voltage range it operates. But generally there is no need for this recalibration and should only be done, if you feel that the battery percentage is wrong.

Last edited:

Most reactions