What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery tip

Brickftl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably lots of you know this but I didn't. I was getting lackluster to bad battery life on my iPad 2 until an Apple store employee noticed that virtually all of my apps were running in the background. Since shutting down any apps that I don't need to keep running in the background I'm getting the 10 hours battery that the iPad 2 is advertised to get. :eek:

Ric Clarke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ricclarke.zenfolio.com
But can we tell what's actually running and using battery power?

I'm assuming that you check to see what's running by double clicking the centre button. I thought that this was just to show the history of usage but does it also mean that all of the aps shown are still running and using battery power? All of them?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the multitasking bar, all those apps are "open", but generally in a "hold" mode. It makes jumping from one to the other faster than actually closing and reopening them. Not all "open" apps use power, but some can. To close them completely, double click the home button, then press and hold an app until they wiggle. Press the "minus" symbol in the upper left of each app you want to close. Hit the home button once to stop the "wiggling".

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
That's the multitasking bar, all those apps are "open", but generally in a "hold" mode. It makes jumping from one to the other faster than actually closing and reopening them. Not all "open" apps use power, but some can. To close them completely, double click the home button, then press and hold an app until they wiggle. Press the "minus" symbol in the upper left of each app you want to close. Hit the home button once to stop the "wiggling".

Yeah.

I've usually only my most used apps always open in the background. Only 3 or 4. The less open the better the battery performance and general speed.

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to Steve jobs, you aren't supposed to worry about what's running in the multitasking bar. The os is supposed to handle it. If it actually does hurt battery life, it's going to be pain for me to remove all those apps.

BaconDanny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same for me too - I don't close any background apps manually, unless for some reason need to restart them, and I'm getting great battery life. It's now been on for nearly 16 hours with a LOT of active use (surfing, games, videos, photos and more) and it's on 7%. Overall I'm really impressed by the battery life on this thing!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you push something that uses your connection or GPS to the background, it will continue to run the wireless/receiver and drain the battery faster. The rest are not as "thirsty."

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app which can show how long the iPad has been running since its last full charge and can then be reset after each charge?

I did start writing down the lengths of time I was using it to try and gauge how long I get, but I lost track in the end :D

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harters said:
Is there an app which can show how long the iPad has been running since its last full charge and can then be reset after each charge?

I did start writing down the lengths of time I was using it to try and gauge how long I get, but I lost track in the end :D

Battery Doctor app keeps a log of all charges.

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery Doctor shows (in graph form) how many days have elapsed between each charging cycle and the amount (in %) of each charge. There are a few other battery apps out there but I have not tried them.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tom P. said:
Battery Doctor shows (in graph form) how many days have elapsed between each charging cycle and the amount (in %) of each charge. There are a few other battery apps out there but I have not tried them.

Ok thank you :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions