What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question about the ipad2 battery life

luluding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey, guys. Just a quick question about the battery life of the ipad2
I bought my 3G ipad2 last friday, and I found that my ipad2's battery decreases by around 15% after i used wifi to go on to the Internet for an hour. Is this normal? Or it's just my ipad2's battery used up too quickly?

pphmmr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I observed that mine iPad2 looses 8% per hour with WiFi enabled and brightnes on 50% level.
I have 32GB WiFi version.

Leadstylist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad2 battery life

I've noticed about 10 to 12% an hour on my 3G 32gb iPad2. That was on wifi, more like 8 to 10% loss an hour on 3G. That's with my screen on 50% brightness. I have noticed that my iPad2 screen on 50% brightness is almost identical to my iPad 1st gen on 100% brightness, maybe just a little dimmer. But if you consider the 10 hour battery life Apple claims then somewhere between an 8% and 12% loss an hour would make sense.

I would suggest a full discharge and a full charge to your battery to see if that would remedy your problem. That helped me in the past with my 1st gen iPad if I felt like it was losing charge to quickly. Also, eBay has various portable batteries for a decent price (I don't recommend off brands, they may claim to charge iPad but the may not, I had that problem). I bought a Cinch charger for around 30 bucks and I ordered an extra iPad cable since Cinch said the one included wouldn't work with iPad. I have been really pleased with it, I keep it my bag with the extra cord and I don't worry about running out of power. I hardly ever use it but still worth the 30$. It works with my iPhone 4 as well. Oh and it's 5500mAh I think. I hope this helped

Last edited:

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine gets about 10% or less per hour of constant use. I read that the latest iOS supposedly improves the battery life. I'm using the latest 4.3.1 but didn't try it on earlier versions.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think everyone will have different results based on the apps and things like push notifications.
Turn off Ping ing the restrictions under the general settings.

64GB 3G White iPad

Reaction score
Yptcn said:

I wonder, whether Ping draws more battery only under certain circumstances. I for example have push/location enabled, use AirPlay and still get 9-10h on 4.3.1.

This is just a wild guess, but the author mentioned push is off and Ping eats the battery. So perhaps Ping works ok, when push is enabled, but otherwise uses a lot of battery.

wahoowad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am noticing faster battery drain on the iPad2 than my iPad1 and I have everything configured the same.

bummpr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am noticing faster battery drain on the iPad2 than my iPad1 and I have everything configured the same.

Same here...I was so pleased with the battery life on my iPad 1 and so disappointed when my iPad 2 kept draining at an extraordinary rate.

I've also noticed that the charging unit and cable is very flaky...I have to jiggle the cable at the plug end to make sure there is contact or else my iPad will not charge. I never had this kind of problem with Version 1 and its very aggravating.

I'll try to Find the Ping option and turn it off. This seems very unfriendly to have this default turned on.

Thanks for the heads up on this option.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also noticed that the charging unit and cable is very flaky...I have to jiggle the cable at the plug end to make sure there is contact or else my iPad will not charge. I never had this kind of problem with Version 1 and its very aggravating.

To be fair, a problem with the adapter and/or cable is nothing to do with the iPad 2 itself. (I would have thought the adapter would be the same as the one which shipped with iPad 1.)

Bckrupps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The charger and battery life is the same. You just can't please everyone. Apple could crap on a floor and someone would complain it ain't brown enough lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts