What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 battery dies at 20%!

djdirtymac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad 2 in May, and everything was totally fine with the battery. Over the last 6 weeks however something weird has been happening... the battery appears to discharge normally during use, but as soon as the level reaches about 20% the iPad shuts down as if the battery has completely run out.

When I plug in my charger, the iPad shows the empty battery symbol until there is enough power for it to boot up again (again, as it should); however when the unit powers up again the battery level shows up as 20-22%...

Anyone else having this issue? Or should I just go back to the Apple Store and demand a new iPad!?

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't seen this issue before. I can get mine well below 20% battery life and it won't shut off. I try not to get it that low if I can help it though.
If it was mine I would bring it in there with the battery close to 20% and see if it shuts off while your there. Whether you bring in it with that percentage or not explain to them the issue and ask for a replacement.

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not being an expert in battery things (which as you'll note doesn't stop me from answering), I'm going to hazard a guess that one of the cells in the battery has reversed its polarity. That can happen with nicad batteries so I assume it can happen with lithium ion batteries too. The symptoms you describe fit the situation. A battery with one or more reversed-polarity cells won't hold a charge very long and goes flat rather quickly. It's basically a short circuit inside the battery. I'm not sure why a cell will reverse, but it's a major cause of battery failure in my rechargeable tools. Sometimes a reversed cell can be zapped straight again but I wouldn't be able to tell you how, and I think it would be dangerous to the iPad.

This goes the long way around the barn to say you should take it back to the seller. Others on this forum have had good luck getting replacements from Apple. Bon chance!

Sent from a classified location.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Before you go crazy, charge the iPad to 100%, then let it run until it shuts down. No charging in between, though you probably don't have to use it continuously.

Apple recommends that you do this about once a month to keep the battery percentage calculation calibrated. It's possible you simply need the battery software to re-calibrate. So try this a couple times, then if it still doesn't work right give Apple a call.

Phatboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you're still within the 1 year warranty period, I believe Apple will replace your ipad and/or battery if it fails to maintain 50% of the battery's capacity.

Most reactions