What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 3g issue

manojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all

I am a guy from Brazil and I'd like to buy an IPAD2 when I go trip to USA. But there is my question I'd like to know before take it:

Is the IPAD2 3G unlocked to any cellphone company or is restricted to verizon or at&t? should I unlock it when arrive to my country?

tnx very much

sry my english

Last edited:

jdpurvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G in Brazil

Hello all

I am a guy from Brazil and I'd like to buy an IPAD2 when I go trip to USA. But there is my question I'd like to know before take it:

Is the IPAD2 3G unlocked to any cellphone company or is restricted to verizon or at&t? should I unlock it when arrive to my country?

tnx very much

sry my english

I suspect that both AT&T and Verizon have contracts in Brazil. However, data rates for the US carrier outside the US can be outrageous (as much as $20 per megabyte). It might be possible to get a SIM card. I would try to find an Apple store in Brazil and ask them. Failing that, I would reach out to Apple directly to see what they recommend.

J

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seen people say on this forum, that getting the AT&T iPad, you will be able to use it no problem. Best thing to do is, purchase from an Apple Store.

OP
M

manojo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seen people say on this forum, that getting the AT&T iPad, you will be able to use it no problem. Best thing to do is, purchase from an Apple Store.

Yes thats my plan.. Its unfair to buy an IPAD in BR for US$1500,00 so probably I will save some money and buy when I go to USA.

Tnx guys to the help

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the other posters have commented, no iPad is locked in the US, but you need to purchase the AT&T version because Verizon uses a 3G protocol that is not supported outside the US and a very few other countries. The AT&T version uses GSM, which is supported almost universally.

By the way, when you do your price comparisons, remember to take into consideration the import duty and sales tax that you'll have to pay when returning to Brazil with your iPad.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts