What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad1 Jailbreak Still Possible?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am currently using an iPad3, so my old iPad1 is available to play with. I would like to use it as a "testbed" to learn how to jailbreak.

When I look at either the redsnOw or evasiOn websites, all I can find are references to jailbreaks for the latest version of iOS. (My iPad1 runs iOS 5.1.1.)

Can I do it? If so, how?

Thanks.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 5.1.1 can be jailbroken using RedSn0w or Absinthe. We have great how-tos over at the Tutorial section here

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/77390-tutorial-jailbreak-ipad2-ipad3-5-1-1-absinthe-2-0-a.html

You can always jailbreak a device as long as the iOS is jailbreakable. Even if the device is no longer supported by upgrades like the iPad 1, or if the iOS on your device is not the latest, you can still jailbreak it. The only requirement that needs meeting is the iOS that's currently on your device with respect to whether or not the iOS and device combo is jailbreakable, which you can find here

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Willerz2. Read the tutorials and jailbroke it. Really straightforward.

Since I am running iOS 5.1.1 and Apple no longer supports the iPad1, am I correct in assuming that I have no reason to save SHSH blobs?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. As far as we know, the iPad1 will never go higher than 5.1.1. So, that iOS will always be "authorized" (by Apple) to put on the iPad1; no blobs required. Then, you can't even save the 6.x blobs, so no need to worry about that, either.

So, to stop my rambling before it gets worse :))) - if you own and iPad1, you don't need to save blobs and you can restore/jail break it on 5.1.1 whenever you wish.

Marilyn

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Correct. As far as we know, the iPad1 will never go higher than 5.1.1. So, that iOS will always be "authorized" (by Apple) to put on the iPad1; no blobs required. Then, you can't even save the 6.x blobs, so no need to worry about that, either.

So, to stop my rambling before it gets worse :))) - if you own and iPad1, you don't need to save blobs and you can restore/jail break it on 5.1.1 whenever you wish.

Marilyn

Merci. And thanks for the tutorial.

Most reactions

Latest posts