What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bricked iPad 1 - Blue screen or black screen

javajesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, noob to jailbreaking, so here is what has happened

I had jailbroken my ipad1 a few weeks ago using redsnow.
Today i D/L'd an update from apple 5.1.1 forgetting that I had jailbroken the unit. it put it into restore mode.
not wanting to lose everything on it, I tried to re-jailbreak using redsnow. it did not work, so I did it again. still no go.
Tried a few other things, re-boot, restore, everthing I could find on-line - now it just gives me the blue screen and redsnow says unexpected error and it's stuck in some wierd version of dfu mode.

So, how can I fix it? I am mac based.

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
redsn0w won't work with 5.1.1. You need to use absinthe. I think 2.04 is the lastest version. Check the sticky on jailbreaking the iPad1 near the top of this forum for detailed instructions. You may need to put it into DFU mode (see DFU for Dummies sticky) then restore 5.1.1, then jailbreak with Absinthe.

CORRECTION:
As pointed out below, the newer versions of redsn0w will jailbreak 5.1.1. My bad.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
javajesus said:
Ok, noob to jailbreaking, so here is what has happened

I had jailbroken my ipad1 a few weeks ago using redsnow.
Today i D/L'd an update from apple 5.1.1 forgetting that I had jailbroken the unit. it put it into restore mode.
not wanting to lose everything on it, I tried to re-jailbreak using redsnow. it did not work, so I did it again. still no go.
Tried a few other things, re-boot, restore, everthing I could find on-line - now it just gives me the blue screen and redsnow says unexpected error and it's stuck in some wierd version of dfu mode.

So, how can I fix it? I am mac based.

If you follow the instructions in this tutorial exactly, you should end up with a functioning iPad running iOS 5.1.1. You can then jailbreak it.
http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

OP
J

javajesus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to work through a couple of errors, and TU didn't seem to function correctly, so I did a manual edit on hosts file, but its all fixed and working great! Thanks!!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
redsn0w won't work with 5.1.1. You need to use absinthe. I think 2.04 is the lastest version. Check the sticky on jailbreaking the iPad1 near the top of this forum for detailed instructions. You may need to put it into DFU mode (see DFU for Dummies sticky) then restore 5.1.1, then jailbreak with Absinthe.

Just to correct you on that, redsn0w works fine to jailbreak 5.1.1. Absinthe was the first tool to support the new jailbreak, but the same mechanisms have been built into redsn0w for several months now, and it could be argued the redsn0w implementation is better.

Our stickies in the hacking section cover the details.

Most reactions