What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad wont update?

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My settings icon had a red 1 next to it so I looked at the settings & it said an update was available but when I click ok it tells me it cannot update as there is no internet connection. This is not true tho as I am right next to my router & have a great wifi signal! It also says this update is 6.1 or something & im sure its meant to be 7?
Is there some other thing that I have to do first?
(The ipad is about 8 months old & works fine)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My settings icon had a red 1 next to it so I looked at the settings & it said an update was available but when I click ok it tells me it cannot update as there is no internet connection. This is not true tho as I am right next to my router & have a great wifi signal! It also says this update is 6.1 or something & im sure its meant to be 7? Is there some other thing that I have to do first? (The ipad is about 8 months old & works fine)

Backup your iPad first, it's always good to do this.

Update iTunes on your computer, then update your iPad through iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4623?viewlocale=en_US

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ive tried to do a backup before but it says I dont have enough storage on the icloud & need to buy some - I dont want to buy any!
Is it not possible to upgrade using the wifi connection? My friend has an iphone & did it this way ok?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ive tried to do a backup before but it says I dont have enough storage on the icloud & need to buy some - I dont want to buy any! Is it not possible to upgrade using the wifi connection? My friend has an iphone & did it this way ok?
It should be possible to update over the air, but if it's not working, there's still the option to use iTunes. You could also backup your iPad to the computer, then you won't need iCloud storage. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766 (You only need "iTunes backup" from this link, not "Backup and restore".)

Last edited:

digitalexplr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My settings icon had a red 1 next to it so I looked at the settings & it said an update was available but when I click ok it tells me it cannot update as there is no internet connection. This is not true tho as I am right next to my router & have a great wifi signal! It also says this update is 6.1 or something & im sure its meant to be 7? Is there some other thing that I have to do first? (The ipad is about 8 months old & works fine)

I had the same situation. However, after trying several times everything completed. I have had no issues on my iPad2.

cindyaimee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should be possible to update over the air, but if it's not working, there's still the option to use iTunes. You could also backup your iPad to the computer, then you won't need iCloud storage. (You only need "iTunes backup" from this link, not "Backup and restore".)

Really help me a lot, thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts