What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps wont update on iPad 2

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Incubus6 said:
Thanks for your reply.

I have the latest IOS and I have nothing downloading in iTunes. When I tap the app it changes for a couple of seconds to Waiting... And then it changes back to its name. After 4-5 seconds a message pops up that sais app cannot be downloaded at this time and it gives me 2 options to select, Done or Retry. If i tap retry, the situation is repeated.

The thing that is strange is that this issue happend only for 9 apps that I tried to update them at a public wireless network all at once (update all) and they got stuck. Any other updates that were launched at app store for other apps (after the above 9 apps were stuck) have been succesfully updated. I also tried to download the 9 updates from my home network, i logged out from my itunes and relogged in and the 9 apps are still stuck.

Maybe that wifi network dropped its service during the updates and this has led to some type of glitch within the updates themselves. Try deleting the 9 apps and then reinstalling them from new. The app store keeps a record of all apps bought, so even if some are paid apps you will be able to download them free again.
In case you don't know - to delete, press on an app until it jiggles and a X will appear to delete, just press the X's.

Let us know if this works for you.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I had a similar experience on my iPad 1 where it was trying to update some apps all the time, but it was not working. I even deleted the culprit apps, reinstalled them, rebooted, etc... You know the drill...

Eventually, as I had other issues with it, I did a complete reset of the device and reinstalled everything instead of restoring from a backup. The problem disappeared (as the other issues).

My guess, as wild as it can be, is that some settings got corrupted in the internal file system. I had done a jailbreak a while ago and reverted to the official iOS on the next major upgrade...

Since the complete reset, everything is working as expected and no more apps that will not update.

In my case, it was TeamViewer and another app that I cannot recall.

My 2 cents

Incubus6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If i delete and redownload the app the problem disappears. However what can I do if I have info on these apps that i don't want to lose? Is there any other way?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Incubus6 said:
If i delete and redownload the app the problem disappears. However what can I do if I have info on these apps that i don't want to lose? Is there any other way?

If you've done a backup before this incident, the info should be reinstated........depending on which apps also, this info may be stored on their servers rather than the app itself. You could also email yourself if it's files of some sort and Dropbox serves as a good tool with some apps.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

RedPlanet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went through the drill to fix the non-updating apps. But I did not do anything drastic because it is too inconvenient. What worked was this -- I just waited and then I was able to update the apps. I also did one more thing -- I updated the Apple TV which was on my network and this is the day after that update, so that may have fixed the issue. In any case, I appear to be back and hope it stays that way.

Beery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TXWingNuts.com
There is a simple solution to this and once I faced, and finally overcame. Reboot the iPAD. This is the hard reboot, now the poweroff button to conserve battery.

It seems for whatever reason, about once every 6 or 8 weeks, the iPAD has a glitch somewhere with certain internet connections and needs a hard reboot to recover. I have once had to have an individual hard reboot when FaceTime would not work, another, when I couldn't connect to our "guest" WIFI connection at work, and a third time when APPS would not update.

1937bruce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Maybe you need to download on wifi vs your 3G / 4G service?

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

I would just delete the apps in question and re-install them. Reboot after deleting before re-installing.

Dacron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem. The solution is: 1. Back up to the Cloud (plugged in and on WiFi). 2. Delete the offending app. 3. Go to apple store - Purchased - see list of what you have previously purchased - and re-download the app. As you have already paid for it there is no charge. 3. Despite the warning that deleting will delete all data, the data in fact returns automatically (from the cloud?).

Most reactions

Latest posts