What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wifi with gps possible?

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done some searching and am struggling to find the right answer... Or maybe just the answer I want. Lol

I recently bought a 32gb iPad wifi model and am hoping to use this in the car as I travel for work.

I want to be able to stream Sirius satellite radio and run gps for 2-3 hours a day. Is my only option to get a mobile hotspot device and plan? It looks like the largest data plan I can get is from Verizon with 10gb/mo.

I'm guessing I also need to get a gps app from tom-tom, motionX, etc.

Is there any other way to run gps without a mobile hotpot?

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have good Sprint signal coverage in your area take a look at Virgin Mobile for data. You can use their MiFi ($149) for 2.5gb for $40 a month. After 2.5gb the speed gets throttled but does keep going.

An even better choice, and the one I made, is to get an Optimus V Android phone that works with Virgin Mobile. It happens to be on sale this week at Best Buy for $129. The Optimus V can be used as a mobile hotspot without being rooted. Virgin Mobile's "Beyond Talk" plans include voice minutes and UNLIMITED data. (Well, you do get throttled after 10gb but few people can download that much per month) 300 minutes and unlimited data for $25 a month. If you need more minutes there are $40 and $60 plans that also have unlimited data.

Virgin Mobile data comes via Sprint towers, so be sure you get good Sprint coverage in the areas where you need access. If Sprint is good there, I don't see any way to beat this deal.

The Optimus V has a GPS. There are many Android apps that will access the GPS and guide you.

Cell Phone Plans - Pay As You Go and Prepaid | Virgin Mobile Virgin Mobile plans

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Virgin+...lack/1879739.p?id=1218299164111&skuId=1879739 Optimus V at Best Buy (check the user reviews there)

Virgin Mobile USA Virgin Mobile discussions at Howard Forums (should answer any questions you have)

Last edited:
OP
D

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed.. the cheaper way would be to continue to use the Garmin GPS that is built into my Kenwood in dash unit... but I don't agree that it's "better".

The purpose of me buying the iPad was so that I could use this to replace my Kenwood unit and reinstall the stock stereo. (company vehicle)

Thanks for the info Bob... the Virgin Mobile $25 plan with unlimited data sounds like the ticket.... sure beats $80/mo at Verizon for 10gb.

I live in the Washington DC area and as far as I know Sprint is pretty good out here.

Just to confirm though... the unlimited data includes their hotspot usage?... it's not just for data used by the smartphone?

Last edited:

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed.. the cheaper way would be to continue to use the Garmin GPS that is built into my Kenwood in dash unit... but I don't agree that it's "better".

The purpose of me buying the iPad was so that I could use this to replace my Kenwood unit and reinstall the stock stereo. (company vehicle)

Thanks for the info Bob... the Virgin Mobile $25 plan with unlimited data sounds like the ticket.... sure beats $80/mo at Verizon for 10gb.

I live in the Washington DC area and as far as I know Sprint is pretty good out here.

Just to confirm though... the unlimited data includes their hotspot usage?... it's not just for data used by the smartphone?

If you search on here someone awhile back posted a link to a bluetooth GPS that claims to be iPad compatible - look for that. Mobile hotspot is probably not going to be very good for a driving GPS, accuracy-wise.
The motionX software is nice, but if all you need is a map showing where you are, the map prog in iOS is adequate.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Correct. It's unlimited data, no matter whether on the phone, USB tethered or as a WiFi hotspot.

However, if I read your wants correctly, this setup will not transform your iPad into a GPS device. The Optimus phone has a built-in GPS, and there are GPS Android apps, so you can use the phone itself in place of the Garmin. But, the phone will not feed GPS data to the iPad. It can only act as a WiFi source.

OP
D

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Correct. It's unlimited data, no matter whether on the phone, USB tethered or as a WiFi hotspot.

However, if I read your wants correctly, this setup will not transform your iPad into a GPS device. The Optimus phone has a built-in GPS, and there are GPS Android apps, so you can use the phone itself in place of the Garmin. But, the phone will not feed GPS data to the iPad. It can only act as a WiFi source.

Gotcha... you're right... looks like I'm going to need a GPS device

The 737A+ GPS Receiver in this thread may be what I need.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/iBlue737A-i-Blue-737A-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B000KH7MZ4/[/ame]

So if I pair my iPad to the 737A+ receiver and I install a GPS driving app from the App Store, I'm assuming this will allow me to use my iPad as a GPS device... and it won't require a data plan? Can anyone confirm?

I guess I'm confused on whether or not the GPS device will still require a 3G data plan.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
danrivito said:
Gotcha... you're right... looks like I'm going to need a GPS device

The 737A+ GPS Receiver in this thread may be what I need.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/iBlue737A-i-Blue-737A-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B000KH7MZ4/

So if I pair my iPad to the 737A+ receiver and I install a GPS driving app from the App Store, I'm assuming this will allow me to use my iPad as a GPS device... and it won't require a data plan? Can anyone confirm?

I guess I'm confused on whether or not the GPS device will still require a 3G data plan.

Well I never bout anything yet but it wouldn't even let me download motion x drive hd app guess cause I have wifi only

OP
D

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't d/l Motion X either... I wonder if it would let me if I had a GPS device connected?

King of Golf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Motion x with turn by turn does not work with external GPS. I bought a bad elf gps and it kind of works with motion x used for hiking/biking. long story short, ended up buying a dedicated Garmin, much happier. Garmin is hard to beat.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If GPS and the iPad is critical then maybe you should sell the WiFi model on Craigslist and buy a 3G model. You shouldn't lose much, if any, on the sale. You don't have to have a data plan with the 3G model, the built-in GPS will work without it.

OP
D

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree... the more I read about it, the 3G was the way to go.

If I had known that the WiFi model didn't have GPS, I would have gotten the 3G one. Should have read up on it more before buying.

Thanks for all the input!

Off to swap out my WiFi model for a 3G model.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree... the more I read about it, the 3G was the way to go.

If I had known that the WiFi model didn't have GPS, I would have gotten the 3G one. Should have read up on it more before buying.

Thanks for all the input!

Off to swap out my WiFi model for a 3G model.

U might as well swap it out for 3g ipad2. No sense in swappin for same old model whn new ipad is hitting the stores by fri. Announcement tomorrow, march 2nd ;-)

OP
D

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sent my WiFi model back today.... gonna wait for tomorrows announcement, then make a decision.

I'll probably end up with an iPad2.

Most reactions

Latest posts