What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as Turn by Turn car gps & music storage device...

jemorgan3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So ive been toying with the idea of getting an iPad 1 to use as a turn by turn gps and music storage device in my car... but do not plan on subscribing to a 3G plan for the ipad. Ive heard a little bit about bluetooth gps antenna's available to turn wifi only ipads into a tomtom type gps and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Space isnt a big issue, i drive an F350 so i have plenty of room.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get a 3G iPad without subscribing to a 3G plan, so if you want GPS functionality then that may be the best way to go (as GPS is only included on the 3G iPads).

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used Navfree California in the rental car in a recent trip to the SF Bay area. It worked as well as the TomTom I have in my own car. I also use Navfree Australia from time to time of my motorcycle more as a map than a device for directions and it works as well as any of the dedicated motorcycle GPS units that my friends have. It has a lot of advantages over those units as well.

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes at this time there are three units out there, all three of them cost about 100.00 each and they can be found on Amazon.com. All three units work and work well. I'm a pilot and have used each of them and know people that use them as well.

Note all of them are WAAS enabled GPS receivers.

1. Bad Elf - This unit is different from the others as it plugs into the Ipad in the interfact/charge port. This means you don't have to charge it as it gets it power from the ipads battery. However as it attaches to the Ipad this may be a problem with most ipad mounts out there. Also it is easy to bump the unit and disconnect it. There has been a worry about bumping it and damaging the port but I have not heard of that ever happening.

2. GNS5870 - This is a small little blackbox GPS receiver. It has it's own battery that you have to remember to change and it interfaces with the Ipad by bluetooth. The only down side to this little guy is the one and off switch can be a pain in the butt untill you get use to it. Only work works with Apple products.

3. XGPS150 - Like the GNS 5870 this is a small battery power unit that needs to be rechanged. This one not only works with you apple products, but it would work with android or other PC's unlike the other two. You also get a couple of nice mounting options with this unit as well.

The XGPS150 is the unit that I tell people to get.

Most reactions

Latest posts