What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What gps up for wifi only iPad?

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And now this user texts while driving because he, by law, can't talk on the phone while driving??? Wow.

Either way, do as you wish.
lol. no, now being serious. i don't talk while i drive and neither do i text. but i find that since that law was passed in california that prohibits talking while driving i find more people texting which is even more dangerous. so in the end the law that was suppose to increase safety actually made roads more dangerous.
And i do keep my eyes on the road and the big iPAD will allow me to see the roads better than a tiny 5 inch screen on my GPS.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Answer: iPad makes for a great gps device. Too great. There are too many features to keep your eyes attached to it, rather than on the road.

A vehicle gps has limited options and is fairly basic. You don't have all these neat features to play around with.

And now this user texts while driving because he, by law, can't talk on the phone while driving??? Wow.

I think you might have made an assumption about GPS apps for iOS. As for GPS on the iPad, it's really not much different than on the iPhone. The apps I use on my iPhone are just about identical to what you would see in a stand-alone GPS unit (e.g., TomTom), or built-in automobile GPS. They are very uncluttered.

I primarily rely on voice guidance, but if I do need to look at the screen I would think the iPad would only make that easier as it is so large. So I guess I don't see why it would be more dangerous than any other GPS options out there. I see tons of people with 3"-3.5" GPS units stuck to the windshield. Surely looking at that is worse than looking at a well-placed iPad screen.

As for the texting while driving remark, I kind of hoped that was in jest. After-all, in no state of the USA is cell phone use prohibited whereas texting is not. In fact more states prohibit texting while driving than talking on a handheld. And no states ban cell use outright, only for certain youth drivers and/or require hands-free operation.

Michael

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes my state prohibits holding a cell phone and driving. And I am not going to get Bluetooth device because I Hate using them. It is also more distacting for me to use my car speaks than actually hold a cell phone in my hand.

I still can't find any app that provides me with a map and current location....

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score

lol. no, now being serious. i don't talk while i drive and neither do i text. but i find that since that law was passed in california that prohibits talking while driving i find more people texting which is even more dangerous. so in the end the law that was suppose to increase safety actually made roads more dangerous.
And i do keep my eyes on the road and the big iPAD will allow me to see the roads better than a tiny 5 inch screen on my GPS.

This is why you need 15% tint all around. I tried my best to get pulled over in my 6 weeks in CA. No license plate, 15% tint, HID headlights, all while talking on the phone.

Do they allow speakerphone? Holding it with speaker on? That's what I do sometimes.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes my state prohibits holding a cell phone and driving. And I am not going to get Bluetooth device because I Hate using them. It is also more distacting for me to use my car speaks than actually hold a cell phone in my hand.

I still can't find any app that provides me with a map and current location....

Can't find? The stock Maps app will do that, even on a wifi only iPad.

Michael

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael
again, WiFi only ipad cannot connect to the internet when you are traveling on a freeway 100mph. AND when you are on a desert somewhere in the middle of Texas where the radio isn't even working... the build in maps REQUIRES internet connection. Same goes for Europe, I will not pay $2000 just to have a 3G.

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael
again, WiFi only ipad cannot connect to the internet when you are traveling on a freeway 100mph. AND when you are on a desert somewhere in the middle of Texas where the radio isn't even working... the build in maps REQUIRES internet connection. Same goes for Europe, I will not pay $2000 just to have a 3G.
You said you could not find any app to show your current location on a map. Why look then?

No APP is going to make up for the fact that a wifi iPad has no built-in GPS.

Michael

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You said you could not find any app to show your current location on a map. Why look then?

No APP is going to make up for the fact that a wifi iPad has no built-in GPS.

Michael

Wifi only ipad still has a-gps function. That means the hardware is there.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the WiFi iPad didn't have the a-gps chip. Can you post your source of information saying that it does?

I remember people were talking about this here before the iPad was released, something about only the 3G had the A-GPS chip.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wifi only ipad still has a-gps function. That means the hardware is there.

You may be confusing A-GPS with "Location Services".

In the absence of a GPS signal, I suspect that Google Maps might make use of information about any WiFi routers it can detect.

There was a fuss about a year ago when it was revealed that the Google cars used for StreetView were also collecting data about WiFi routers.

It is possible that Google has a database of MAC addresses of WiFi routers with approximate locations, good enough to locate the nearest restaurants etc.

I may be wrong, but how else would my WiFi show my location within about 100 metros. With GPD, it would be better than 10 metres.

After initially posting this I found this URL that seems to explain things http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1975.

Last edited:
OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you are right I have confused these two. I still Ike to get an app to show me on the map where I am.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes you are right I have confused these two. I still Ike to get an app to show me on the map where I am.
The Maps application (that comes with the iPad) does that. Perhaps you need to go to Settings and turn on Location Services.

It will not work when I am not connected to the internet.

Quite true. This is because Apple deigned that WiFi only iPad only shall not have GPS.

They don't seem to have recognized the potential for apps that have an inbuilt geo-database (such as your average Satnav application).

I think that they are wrong on this one.

Someone could develop an app that has it's own maps and uses the iPad's Location Services though.

I would also like to see Bluetooth enabled for GPS on the iPad

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is getting absurd. Circular logic anyone?

The iPad wifi does not have built-in GPS. End of story. EVERY app will need WiFi in order to try to come up with location info from Skyhook. Look it up.

No app is going to make it work like it has a true GPS chip contained within.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts