What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What gps up for wifi only iPad?

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wifi only iPad and I want to take advantage of the a-gps. What gps/maps should I get for offline gps. Remember I got no 3G.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd recommend "Garmin". :D there is always "OffMaps" check that one out. I use it on my phone while traveling to different cities.
Seriously, I don't think there's anything us wifi owners can do about it. I trust my gps over some iPad app any day though.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have wifi only iPad and I want to take advantage of the a-gps. What gps/maps should I get for offline gps. Remember I got no 3G.

I tried my Bluetooth GPS but the iPad has only limited GPS functionality, I think keyboards etc only.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get angry at me, but the GPS on my Droid 2 works pretty darn good. I simply say "Navigate to...." and it gets me where I want to go. I've only had the iPad a couple of days but it can't seem to locate me. WiFi only.

My friend has just bought a 64gb wifi Ipad and he says it found his location right away.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't get angry at me, but the GPS on my Droid 2 works pretty darn good. I simply say "Navigate to...." and it gets me where I want to go. I've only had the iPad a couple of days but it can't seem to locate me. WiFi only.

My friend has just bought a 64gb wifi Ipad and he says it found his location right away.
Well a Wifi-only iPad is not going to come close to a Droid that has hardware GPS. But a 3G iPad will.

And my iPhone 4 also does great on GPS.... so did my 3GS.

I have a bunch of apps for GPS on my i4 but the one I rely on most is Navigon. It loads the maps on-board so no need for cell service for navigation. I am jailbroken so remove unneeded maps unless I know I will traveling to those areas. This cuts storage space wayyyyyy down.

Michael

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
get a vehicle GPS. Garmin, Tomtom, Magellan. Most can be had for less than $100.

Yes I have one, but I would much rathee prefer to use my 10 inch ips screen to show me where aim going

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Good to know. I am probably going to get a windows se7en phone or a droid.

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok guys
- I would like my iPad to show me where i am on the map at least
- I have no 3G and even if I did I would t use it when I travel outside of u.s.
- safety is not an issue. I already text while I drive since talking on the phone is now illegal.
- I already have external gps but I want gps on mu iPad as well.

haz2901

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I use my 16 gig wifi pad as my satnav. I just bought a Bluetooth gps receiver and a $5 app from the cydia store. Works extremely well. Just the same as any normal satnav

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Answer: iPad makes for a great gps device. Too great. There are too many features to keep your eyes attached to it, rather than on the road.

A vehicle gps has limited options and is fairly basic. You don't have all these neat features to play around with.

And now this user texts while driving because he, by law, can't talk on the phone while driving??? Wow.

Either way, do as you wish.

Most reactions

Latest posts