What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD virus protection

w1ngman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No no no relax enjoy

Would you contend that your answer is accurate...if the owner's iPad were jailbroken? I appreciate that a non-altered iPad is basically virus-proof since...as a virus is nothing more than a (malicious/thwarting) program...and Apple doesn't allow any programs in/onto an iPad except first via review/testing/approval and then release/distribution via iTunes. However, wouldn't a jailbroken iPad be, potentially, vulnerable to viruses?

Just curious to ask from this slightly broader perspective. I appreciate that the question itself has been asked ad nauseum on the boards. Hoever I can't recall discussion specific to JB'd iPads.

Cheers,
Dave

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Point made sorry you are right I assumed the user was not jail broken as more than 80% of users do not as for virus protection for a iPad that is jail broken I cannot provide an answer. I preferred the wall garden as it provides every thing I need and also what most people need. In future I will ask that magic question...... Thanks for the input....

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So one benefit of resisting the urge to JB is no viruses? Not even key loggers?

So far I have avoided financial transactions on my ( non JB) iPad. I am close to doing so ( I nearly did so today) as it is one of the few reasons that I still fire up the Notebook.

I assume that the web site must be https of course.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are as safe with the iPad un-jailbroken as you are with a Windows box using good AV software.

Meaning if Apple's testers are asleep we may still be in danger.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apple review process isn't as through as some of us believe. It is quite possible for some nasty to slip through the process, as proved by the teenager who released an app this year with allowed you to tether your device without paying a fee to AT&T.

But even with that caution in mind, I would think the iPad is much more secure than a Mac or a PC. The biggest concern I would have is "man in the middle" attacks.

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically it means that it's unlocked to allow it to use apps that aren't necessarily approved by Apple and that you can get apps from sources other than iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts