What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad virus protection

steve1204

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read in a post ipad does not need virus protection, which is cool, I am just wondering why that is. Is it because of no flash?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) Because, as you note, the OS allows no non-signed code to be run.
2) Because any app/process only has access to it's own dedicated memory and storage space (except pictures)
3) Because of obscurity (for now)

There are bugs in all software,and I cincerely hope that as the iPad becomes ever more popular, it doesn't attract ever more hackers searching for and exploiting those bugs.

OP
S

steve1204

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what about e-mail worms or something like that...or someone traps a popular webpage...how does it keep those out...does that have to do with code as well?

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seeing it is really the same as as iPhone or iPod, I don't think you can chalk it up to obscurity. But unless you jailbreak, the only way to get executables onto it is via iTunes from the appStore, and they know what they have.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
what about e-mail worms or something like that...or someone traps a popular webpage...how does it keep those out...does that have to do with code as well?

All a virus is is a program that is running on your device or computer. It may come from a website or corrupted PDF originally, but the program could only do any damage if it is running on your device.. In the end, it is "just" a program.

Well, with an iPad or iPhone - that is exactly what Apple fiercely controls.

Most reactions

Latest posts