What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad ushers in a new age, for all ages.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4EbM7dCMs]YouTube - A 2.5 Year-Old Has A First Encounter with An iPad[/ame]

The iPad has already been a success by any normal standard as far as technology devices and numbers sold, but Apple isn't happy with just a normal standard. They set the bar high, and they have a way of changing our culture and what we expect in a device.

What will the future be like for our children down the road? Who can say, but what we can say is that right now our children are already vastly more technologically advanced then we were at the same age.

This youtube video of an iPhone savvy child's first time using the iPad is an amazing example of how powerful the human species can be... and how quickly we can learn and adapt to a new way of life. Just for reference, the child in this video is only 2.5!

Watch the video and be as amazed as I am at how quickly the child can pick up how to navigate!

OP
JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm very curious about everyone's opinion on this, so please chime in.

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was one of the best iPad demo videos I have seen! Seriously, it will not take long before the world will see the potential of this device for almost any user.

She seemed to be pretty familiar with the interface (eg. Home button, swiping left and right) so I assume she has been exposed to the iPhone/iPod Touch before.

Last but not least, she was a cutie! My 5 year old daughter will be jealous she didn't have access to an iPad when she was 2. :D

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm very curious about everyone's opinion on this, so please chime in.

This video let clearly see … how great will be the future of the iPad … of course i believe this child have previously use an iPhone or the iPad but is clear iPad have a large space in the child development market

just imagine the possibilities for learn Alphabet for child 2 years old, easy funny and interactive

this sound the starting of a new era

jenna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Computers have long held a lot of potential for learning aids for children, however the Ipad just takes the concept so much further. My 5 year old granddaughter already accesses a lot of apps on her ipod touch and I look forward to seeing her reaction to my Ipad when it arrives, hopefully later this month (I am in Australia as well as wanting one of the 3G models).
I am not at all surprised by this litlte one's expertise in navigating the Ipad.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is something i going to say out loud and maybe iam wrong or maybe iam right ..but your are going to see add pushing the ipad by for people of all ages groups ..

one of the add your going to see in the future is the one for the older person who is not tech savy or the middle age man and women who is also not very tech savy as the ipad to them is into the entry world of computers.. with the ipad is simple and basicly fool proof to use and understand it basic working ..you will see this heavy around Xmas time frame of next year buying cycle of the holidays ..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
she is amazeing with the ipad ..
today when i was out running around and diff places i stoped to eat at or take a break i would break out the Ipad and play a few games on it here and there with it for i was just relaxeing for i travel in the morning .. ..

the thing that i notice it was the older people asking me question about the unit and when i would let them use it ,,it was like a light had gone off inside there head and for the first time in there lifes here was something that did not make them scared of a piece of tech and how to make it work . ..the one person said it so easly i can use it and understand the how the unit works without haveing lot of problems ..

so i think apple has hit this one out of the ballpark with the ipad ..

kravdog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...or the middle age man who is also not very tech savy as the ipad to them is into the entry world of computers.. with the ipad is simple and basicly fool proof to use and understand it basic working ..you will see this heavy around Xmas time frame of next year buying cycle of the holidays ..

I can see it now....they need to get Rod to do an ad! If you watched celeb apprentice, you would agree!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a perfect example of the os that people don't understand. It is so simple to operate! If a 2 year old can figure it out so can anyone...I am tech savvy. I have built computers and run networks, I love my mac because it is so user friendly....windows losses on all points there...it is so complicated and has so many menus and options it should only be used by a network admin. Believe it or not the ultimate goal for the iPad os is to replace OSX in consumer mac computers. Mac books will be replaced by ipads, iMac will have the iPad os on it, and only pro comps will have osx.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually what would be better is not iPhoneOS on a Mac but an iPhone like simple Mac mode. There is under parental controls a way to use a simple OS but it is frustrating and difficult. I could see an iMac with a full touch screen and running OSX, but having two modes.

The structure wouldn't be all that hard to follow. The Users Home directory becomes the only directory Apps are allowed to. An Applications folder is creates (FYI you can make one yourself already) stores Apps bought through an expanded AppStore and/or supports the machines admin in placing alias files to programs in the main Applications folder. Folders and files are placed by the OS and not under general user control.

Any computer over 1000 USD and that has a non-mobile (x86 not ARM) processor should have a full fiction OS backing it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually what would be better is not iPhoneOS on a Mac but an iPhone like simple Mac mode. There is under parental controls a way to use a simple OS but it is frustrating and difficult. I could see an iMac with a full touch screen and running OSX, but having two modes.

The structure wouldn't be all that hard to follow. The Users Home directory becomes the only directory Apps are allowed to. An Applications folder is creates (FYI you can make one yourself already) stores Apps bought through an expanded AppStore and/or supports the machines admin in placing alias files to programs in the main Applications folder. Folders and files are placed by the OS and not under general user control.

Any computer over 1000 USD and that has a non-mobile (x86 not ARM) processor should have a full fiction OS backing it.

Apple's mobile OS is actually a slimmed down optimized version of OSX.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
your are going to see a push in schools and other areas of learning where they do away with the big heavy text books and go with the small platforms of some form of a tablet pad units for the classroom use.

along with seeing a new age where the not so tech savvy person can now join the computer world ..where grandpa and grandma can have a small protable system to let them stay in touch with the familes and freinds in there circle of friends..

plus if a two year old child can use it anyone can use it ..

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad costs less than some text books. If they can just get the price to be a good deal less than a regular text book, it could be a help. Not only do we need to cut weight, but also most textbooks go through many hands. The price has to be less than the book minus the resale value. The problem is with the textbook industry. It is not the best or most accurate ones that get selected. It depends on political issues, sweatheart deals, whether the instructor has written a book, and so much other garbage. And lord help the student that has an instructor change at the wrong time. You spend $100+ on a book and get told to get a different one. Or sometimes the instructor will change the text book and then turn their list in to the bookstore, only someone fails to update the list.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that was the part i really hated about buying textbooks for school for it was a lot of extras books that you did not need in the long run along with just haveing to go out and spend a bunch of money trying to find some of the books that he wanted us to read and study for test from..

i can the advantage of useing the ipad unit as the base unit with the books are loaded onto the school e-book system and they are down loaded from the ebook library and rented for the year and when the class is over you can reloaded the book back onto the sever system and reload another class book that you need for the upcomeing class session .. ..

the whole time you can rent the book you need for the classroom session and return it without have to invest a lot of dollars in multi class room books for the college year ..

think about cutting the weight a person has to carry to class for a school year ..it would take a lot of the problems with future heathcare problems of the older college age kids..

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
think about the this thought for a second ..your kid goes to school with a ipad and a notebook for writeing in along with the pens and few other accessories items need for school ..
with the schoolbooks preloaded onto the ipad for the school age kid ..k1 to k12 set up ..with each grade haveing there own set of books and texts loaded onto the unit at the begining of the school year when you take your kid to school to get all the paperwork before the school starts ..

the ipad is bought or rented for the year with a bag and a few basic accessories for it ..-x-power cord-screen cleaning cloth bag style in a backpack or a little carry style that hold the pens and notebook for writeing in .. etc ..

so this way the kid can pack a notebook and a couple of pens and penicals to write with ..think of the wieght saveing that the kid must carry ..

there was a article on the cnn about the growing wieght of the school book program on the kids as they go up in grades.. for a 4th or 5th grade school backpack was at the level of 20.pds for his grade and when got to a 12th grade highschool level kid it was at 40 to 50.pd level of all the stuff that the kid was carrying ..

i remember carrying my gym cloths and shaveing and grooming kit in a small awol bag along with my book bag that i carried to school each day plus my mom made me lunch also .... we took gym five days a week and played football and baseball along with beening on the highschool wrestling team also ..

i remember my mom haveing to buy 5 sets of socalled school aproved gym t-shirts and -x-5-sets of gym shorts along with socks and jockstrap and a set of gym shoes that had to be approved for the school . ..i used to load up the bag on mondays for the trip to school and bring it home on fridays to be washed and repacked for monday trip back to school..

Most reactions