What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to HDTV connection?

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can an iPad be connected to one's HDTV in order to view things like Netflix, Youtube, JustinTV, etc? Like through an HDMI port? Is there such an adapter? I would be accessing the Internet through my home WiFi connection.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, you can buy the HDMI adapter for the iPad and this will allow you to connect up to any HDTV that has HDMI. One word of caution is that not all apps will output over HDMI, so you may not be able to view on your TV. Once such app is HBO Go. It only lets you give on the iPad.

OP
T

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool. I'll look for that adapter.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money in my wallet to go out and get an Apple TV just so I can watch programming off my iPad. I'll be happy to see Netflix or JustinTV. Maybe Crackle, too.

OP
T

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm planning on dropping my cable TV service in lieu of Internet-only streaming to my TV. iPad-to-HDTV should work in this event, right? It's not like I'm paying a monthly carrier fee for my iPad, which justs gets its signal from our home WiFi connection.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm planning on dropping my cable TV service in lieu of Internet-only streaming to my TV. iPad-to-HDTV should work in this event, right? It's not like I'm paying a monthly carrier fee for my iPad, which justs gets its signal from our home WiFi connection.

I would test out whatever apps you plan to use before dropping your cable TV, but in theory, unless an app doesn't allow it, it should work. The only issue I see is that eventually your ISP or whomever is providing the content, will notice and start to figure they ought to be getting paid. If you use a paid service like Hulu, that probably won't happen. But ISPs are starting to figure they need to be limiting bandwidth so making some profit off folks to stream a lot to content. It's just the natural order of things...if you are watching, someone wants money. Cable co, content provider, ISP, whomever is in the link to getting something on your TV. It's just about when the catch up. :)

OP
T

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What the.....?! I saw the adapters on sale online and they all look as if they're only about three inches long! My HDTV hangs on my wall. What am I supposed to do - stand there and hold it right by the TV while I watch it? Surely someone makes such an adapter that's several feet long?

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tricon7 said:
What the.....?! I saw the adapters on sale online and they all look as if they're only about three inches long! My HDTV hangs on my wall. What am I supposed to do - stand there and hold it right by the TV while I watch it? Surely someone makes such an adapter that's several feet long?

You connect from the adapter to the TV using a HDMI cable, buy the length you need.

OP
T

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad adapter from Best Buy - the all-white one made by Apple. I can view programming through my TV with it, but the picture isn't very smooth, and it's certainly not HD. I'm really disappointed with it. I can currently hook my laptop to my HDTV and the picture through that is very nice.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Your best bet is to use an Apple TV. Be patient, take the adapter back and hold that money and apply it to an ATV. You will be better served in the long run and you wont even have to use the iPad to do the streaming, the ATV has most of them built in anyway. think about it, turn off the cable, wait a month and spend that money on the ATV instead. A little bit of patience will go a very long way.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tricon7 said:
I bought the iPad adapter from Best Buy - the all-white one made by Apple. I can view programming through my TV with it, but the picture isn't very smooth, and it's certainly not HD. I'm really disappointed with it. I can currently hook my laptop to my HDTV and the picture through that is very nice.

If you are using the correct adaptor and an hdmi cable, your picture should be great. Something is wrong.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the adapter and the hdmi cable and have no issues with it at all. I use it to watch movies I've rented on iTunes and to watch YouTube videos, etc, and see no lag or issues at all. The movies from iTunes actually look great. I even forced my hubby and kids to watch me test out one of my new drawing apps and I narrated my pic of a pond and cat tails and lily pads ... think they were more impressed with the movies.

Most reactions

Latest posts