What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Tethering

asmny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a jail broken iPhone with a 3G subscription and installed a tethering app. iPad works perfectly with it. Might not have to get the 3G version after all.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a jail broken iPhone with a 3G subscription and installed a tethering app. iPad works perfectly with it. Might not have to get the 3G version after all.

Thank's for share, can you give us the name or better the link of witch app's you use (even i never again jailbreak my iPhone) that will help many people

OP
A

asmny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Used MyWi, cost $9.99 from Rock, only limitation I've found so far it the app does not support VPN connections as well as you can't be talking on the phone.

brandonhd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a rooted droid you can get a free app called wireless tether, it turns your droid into a mifi.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question is, would it be possible to tether a wifi ipad to a 3g ipad? I know once I get my 3G my wife is going to want one so I would rather get her a wifi and tether is to mine when necessary.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question is, would it be possible to tether a wifi ipad to a 3g ipad? I know once I get my 3G my wife is going to want one so I would rather get her a wifi and tether is to mine when necessary.

eldex this will not work until you jailbreak the 3G one (witch i didn't recommend you to do it)

you do better to buy a Mifi and use it time to time

joe7966

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How did you connect the iPhone and the iPad? Can you do it over Bluetooth? If not is there a cable available that has a iPhone connection on both ends?

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score

How did you connect the iPhone and the iPad? Can you do it over Bluetooth? If not is there a cable available that has a iPhone connection on both ends?

It's an app that turns the phone into a hotspot. You have to jailbreak the phone. If none of these things make sense to you then don't try it.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done the same thing with my iPad... tethering it to my jailbroken iPhone through MyWi. The $10 price of that app is SO worth it considering all I'm saving by not having to pay the extra $130 for the 3G iPad and the $30 monthly fee for the service.

If you have an iPhone and a WiFi iPad... I would definitely suggest jailbreaking the iPhone and installing MyWi!

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done the same thing with my iPad... tethering it to my jailbroken iPhone through MyWi. The $10 price of that app is SO worth it considering all I'm saving by not having to pay the extra $130 for the 3G iPad and the $30 monthly fee for the service.

If you have an iPhone and a WiFi iPad... I would definitely suggest jailbreaking the iPhone and installing MyWi!
What about updates to the firmware, does this impact your break, or will it disable your ability to get new FW updates?

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's an app that turns the phone into a hotspot. You have to jailbreak the phone. If none of these things make sense to you then don't try it.
I am one of those who does not quite understand all of the concepts. Sad really, I have been in the software industry for 15 years now, of course i am in sales, but it is a real niche portion of the CNC manufacturing industry.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
A

asmny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too bad for the 3G guys, rumor is NETFLIX is configured to run only on a wifi connection. I could smell ATT having a hand in it to limit bandwidth usage.

OP
A

asmny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For Netflix users, I have viewed 2 movies on my iPad tethered wirelessly to my jail broken iPhone with perfect audio and video on Netflix. Makes jail breaking worthwhile now.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only problem I have with my jailbroken iPhone acting as a wireless hotspot is the fact that when you are using it, the battery drains faster than it can charge. If you don't have it charging, the battery is dead in less than 2 hours.

Most reactions

Latest posts