What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad sets off store security alarms?!?!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went into a couple of stores today and my iPad (or my phone) set off the security alarm. It has happened many times and I want to know a way to make it stop! It's isn't my phone though because it never did that. Would airplane mode stop it or what? I cant turn it off because I am jailbroken and I need a computer to turn it back on. Any ideas?

Sam707

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wat??? Are you serious? I went to a couple of stores with my Ipad & that hasn't happened to me. I have it Jailbroken too

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not jail broken but have shopped a lot of places (ipad always with me) and never set off alarms.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may have a security tag inside your clothes as that is the most common reason The iPad and or iPhone cannot activate alarms. Some products like cases etc have security tags buried inside. Ask a retailer to debug what you carry they put it over the scanner that should work

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i carry my ipad with me all the time and never set the stores alarms off so it got to be a tag in the cloths like the Col says ..

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason why i think that is the answer i work for a major retailer we use the security tags on every item. Some manufactures also use security tags as said hidden maybe have some one else walk in and see what happens take ipad out of the bag

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Figured it out! Just started carrying my iPad and I also just started taking my wallet with me too. Turns out there was a security thingy buried way down in one of the credit card slots. Oh well. Took me 10 minutes and some pliers and a knife to get it out! I should send a complaint.....

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Figured it out! Just started carrying my iPad and I also just started taking my wallet with me too. Turns out there was a security thingy buried way down in one of the credit card slots. Oh well. Took me 10 minutes and some pliers and a knife to get it out! I should send a complaint.....
:):):)

kc2ped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me the other day. I was going into Staples and set off the alarm. When I left I went through another detector and it didn't go off.

I was wearing clothes that I have had for some time and have washed so know that wasn't the issue. I did have a library book with me that was old enough that it might have had a tag in it but I have checked all the usual places and not found anything there. The only thing left is my ZAGGmate with keyboard which has never gone through one of those store security systems before.

But since one machine went off and another did not I think it was the setting on that particular machine that set up a harmonic in either the iPad or the ZAGGmate that triggered the alarm. If the iPad Wi-Fi antenna is a coiled up patch antenna behind the apple logo it would look very much like the guts of the square security patches and I can see it resonating just like a security tag. My iPad is always in airplane mode these days.

Most reactions

Latest posts