What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad running very slow after upgrade the software 5.1.1

prasnnabhansali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi .... I am using ipad1, after upgrading software 5.1.1 its become very slow some time its like a hell running .... Pls suggest

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
prasnnabhansali said:
Hi .... I am using ipad1, after upgrading software 5.1.1 its become very slow some time its like a hell running .... Pls suggest

Been there and it wasn't satisfactory. Sorry to say anything stock above 4.3.5 is a total resource and battery hog on the ipad 1. Unfortunately, once you upgrade you cant back it off to a lower level without jailbreaking or replacing the device under warranty. I got lucky and my digitizer and battery started to go, so i got a new stock 4.3.5 device. Try 5.1.1 Absinthe to see if there are ways to tweak performance. Failing that, there is a jailbreak option to take you back to 4.3.5.

I posted last night to see if there are benefits to jailbreaking to 5.1.1 Absinthe. But i would never go to stock 5.1.1 again unless i bought a new iPad.

Good luck!

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gedansky said:
Unfortunately, once you upgrade you cant back it off to a lower level without jailbreaking or replacing the device under warranty.

Hmm, I think not so much, you don't really have to "jailbreak" to downgrade to a lower iOS firmware. This process has something to do with SHSH blobs, although I forgot how, there is a way.

gedansky said:
Sorry to say anything stock above 4.3.5 is a total resource and battery hog on the ipad 1.

Not so much on my case, when I upgrade my iPad 5.1.1 before I had it jailbroken, I didn't really have any problem with it's performance or with it's battery, I dunno but I guess it was just me? I was also even able to play for hours.

But I think yes, the first possible solution for this problem is I guess having it jailbroken and have it "tweaked".

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AllenSalar said:
Hmm, I think not so much, you don't really have to "jailbreak" to downgrade to a lower iOS firmware. This process has something to do with SHSH blobs, although I forgot how, there is a way.

Not so much on my case, when I upgrade my iPad 5.1.1 before I had it jailbroken, I didn't really have any problem with it's performance or with it's battery, I dunno but I guess it was just me? I was also even able to play for hours.

But I think yes, the first possible solution for this problem is I guess having it jailbroken and have it "tweaked".

I read blog posts abt just finding an old version on your system and pointing itunes towards it. But, when i did this, itunes said i was trying to install an out of date version. So jailbreaking, for me, seems the only answer to going backlevel.

And, when I had 5.1.1 it was better than 5.0 but nowhere near 4.3.5 in speed and battery performance.

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh? I thought I've also read about an article towards that, but nevermind about it.

Then I guess try jail breaking it? But before you do that, search for these "tweaks" that can help optimize your iPad before jail breaking it.

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AllenSalar said:
Oh? I thought I've also read about an article towards that, but nevermind about it.

Then I guess try jail breaking it? But before you do that, search for these "tweaks" that can help optimize your iPad before jail breaking it.

The tweaks can only be applied to a jail broken device (I.e., over clocking, power management). Other than making sure to close all open apps, turning off data functions when not in use, and dimming the screen, there really aren't any other tweaks you can do to a stock device.

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gedansky said:
The tweaks can only be applied to a jail broken device
I know dude, I was just saying that if you wanted your device jailbroken, you must already know the tweaks that you can apply to your iPad rather than having a hard time finding for those tweaks when you really are just conservative about your ipad and doesn't want jail broken unless it's your last choice.....

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AllenSalar said:
I know dude, I was just saying that if you wanted your device jailbroken, you must already know the tweaks that you can apply to your iPad rather than having a hard time finding for those tweaks when you really are just conservative about your ipad and doesn't want jail broken unless it's your last choice.....

Makes sense. Plus somebody just posted on another thread that there aren't that many tweaks. There's not much in the way of the true overclocking, and there isnt virtual memory management the way you would have in a pc environment. The only solutions i can think of are to find an excuse to get replaced under Apple Care, or jail break back to 4.3.5, which you can do. I keep reading about tricks for going backlevel on a stock device, by directing itunes towards an old version. But, i tried and it said i couldnt. Maybe it was just me.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst I fully accept 5.1.1 does make the iPad1 run slower than a 4.x firmware, it should not be an order of magnitude slower, which seems to be what the OP is suggesting.

prasnnabhansali, I would suggest trying a restore to a fresh 5.1.1 first using iTunes. Something could easily have been corrupted in the last update process you did. Those kind of complaints are really not that uncommon and is often resolved with a restore.

Jailbreaking the device is NOT the way to go for this user. There is noting you would install once jailbroken which would significantly improve the performance on an iPad1 running 5.1.1.
Also for reference, jailbreaking is not related in any way to downgrading the iPad. To downgrade the iPad1 you must have saved SHSH Blobs for your device and the version of IOS you want to install. You must have saved these blobs away safely when Apple was still providing that version as the "current" / "latest" version of IOS. There is no way to get round the system, even once jailbroken. Since the OP will not have been saving their SHSH Blobs (why would they?) they will not be able to restore an old version of IOS under any circumstances. It's 5.1.1 or nothing.

Hope that helps.

OP
P

prasnnabhansali

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Whilst I fully accept 5.1.1 does make the iPad1 run slower than a 4.x firmware, it should not be an order of magnitude slower, which seems to be what the OP is suggesting.

prasnnabhansali, I would suggest trying a restore to a fresh 5.1.1 first using iTunes. Something could easily have been corrupted in the last update process you did. Those kind of complaints are really not that uncommon and is often resolved with a restore.

Jailbreaking the device is NOT the way to go for this user. There is noting you would install once jailbroken which would significantly improve the performance on an iPad1 running 5.1.1.
Also for reference, jailbreaking is not related in any way to downgrading the iPad. To downgrade the iPad1 you must have saved SHSH Blobs for your device and the version of IOS you want to install. You must have saved these blobs away safely when Apple was still providing that version as the "current" / "latest" version of IOS. There is no way to get round the system, even once jailbroken. Since the OP will not have been saving their SHSH Blobs (why would they?) they will not be able to restore an old version of IOS under any circumstances. It's 5.1.1 or nothing.

Hope that helps.

Let me try this ... Thanks a ton :)

Most reactions